American Express Careers
Finance Data Models Manager
American Express is modernizing at pace, and you will be part of a growing team of data management professionals focused on providing world-class data management solutions that underpin this transformation. You will get to partner closely with talented Product Owners, Architects, and Engineers to define, and execute the vision and roadmap for one of our most critical and innovative platforms. Your goal will be to maximize the value of our data assets, by enabling the right information to be in the right place at the right time.
As a Data Model Manager, you'll be providing your leadership to a small project team of Data Architects and Data Engineers, working at both the strategic and execution levels of the Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe); understanding and analyzing project requirements; supporting the definition of data architectures that are business-focused, semantically rich, adaptable, and scalable. You will be looking for opportunities to apply your deep knowledge and experience of designing high-performance architectures, producing the right design for the task at hand.
Whether it's domain models, conceptual, logical and physical data models, data flow diagrams, interface specifications, you'll be able to produce the right artifacts to communicate your vision to stakeholders, and to provide detailed specifications that Software and Data Engineers can build against.
Our data needs to be processed and stored quickly, accurately and safely. You'll have knowledge of a variety of database technologies, keeping up with the latest industry trends, and be able to advise our partners on the right technology solutions. The Data Model Manager is a collaborator, a well-organized, action-oriented team player with exceptional leadership and time management skills, confident in presenting, facilitating, and building a network of strong relationships across our organization.
No two days are the same, but the Data Model Manager’s activities can include:
• Driving the up-front completion of logical and physical data models for a new streaming architecture with our Next Generation Data Modeling (NGDM) team
• Understanding governance, compliance, audit, regulatory and audit requirements, and ensuring that these are factored into NGDM designs
• Translating technical data models to business stakeholders and rationalizing against business requirements
• Ensuring defined data standards are reused and enforced across all data-driven initiatives (System of Record / Data of Record)
• Working with Business Partners and Product Owners to understand, and influence, the vision and roadmap for your portfolio
• Supporting the information architecture vision and strategy, and communicating it to key stakeholders. Showing how the architecture delivers real value to our Customers and our Shareholders
• Analyzing the product backlog to determine the information needs of your platforms and consumers
• Facilitating workshops between small groups of IT and business colleagues to build up a shared understanding of domain problems, and working towards a consensus on solutions. Recognizing issues of conflict and able to resolve them
• Acting as a trusted partner, consulting on data management best practices that would enhance business solution delivery.
• Shaping reusable data architecture patterns, standards, and best practices that can be adopted across the enterprise
• Constructing definitions of data elements that are unambiguous, clear and accurate, and couched in business terminology.
• Adopting an organization-wide view of the business and its data. Looking for opportunities to reuse your solutions across the enterprise.
• Participating in peer reviews of completed data models and plans to ensure quality, and identifying alignment opportunities across portfolios
• 4+ years of proven information architecture experience, working both at an Enterprise and Domain level, including major transformation programs
• Experience working for a Financial Services company or a Finance department is a plus
• Experience in designing models of real-time architectures in Apache Kafka environment
• Strong leadership, facilitation and presentation skills
• Strong stakeholder management, networking, and relationship building skills
• Experience in data modeling, with firm grasp of when to apply different modelling patterns
• Hands-on experience building data models from conceptual to physical
• Experience in designing data integration/ETL solutions
• Hands-on experience with Relational (e.g. Oracle/Postgres) database technologies
• Strong prioritization, planning, and organizational skills
• Knowledge of data management best practices and industry trends
• Hands-on experience using one or more of the following tools: ER Studio/ERWin/Hackolade/PowerDesigner
• Experience in working under Agile/Scrum/Kanban project methodologies
Depending on factors such as business unit requirements, the nature of the position, cost and applicable laws, American Express may provide visa sponsorship for certain positions.
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time
Date Posted: Jun 19, 2019, 8:32:29 PM