American Express Careers
Senior Engineer - Mainframe/Big Data Technology
Why American Express
There’s a difference between having a job and making a difference.
American Express has been making a difference in people’s lives for over 160 years, backing them in moments big and small, granting access, tools, and resources to take on their biggest challenges and reap the greatest rewards.
We’ve also made a difference in the lives of our people, providing a culture of learning and collaboration, and helping them with what they need to succeed and thrive. We have their backs as they grow their skills, conquer new challenges, or even take time to spend with their family or community. And when they’re ready to take on a new career path, we’re right there with them, giving them the guidance and m
omentum into the best future they envision.
Because we believe that the best way to back our customers is to back our people.
The powerful backing of American Express.
Don’t make a difference without it.
Don’t live life without it.
The American Express vision for providing the world’s best customer experience every single day can only be achieved with groundbreaking products and experiences powered by unparalleled levels of innovation, teamwork and platform velocity, attributes present as the core of Arena, our enterprise continuous testing framework.
The testing practice landscape across American Express is undergoing unprecedented change that includes rapid development of new and modified technology, tooling, process and data innovations, which are in turn changing the core nature of testing and its underlying demand for Technology and process innovation.
We are looking for a self-motivated individual to be part of Innovative Enterprise Solution called Arena to drive, launch and improve as this platform grows.
- Lead operationalization of Arena the Ecosystem – Support Product leadership to evangelize the product, platform, environment and its vision both internally and externally, shepherding testable products through the build/test process, advocating to achieve the best outcomes.
- Lead a culture of innovation and experimentation, engage in fun and outcome-oriented culture, and always be ready to try new concepts without fear of failure.
- Interpret technical and business objectives and challenges, and articulate solutions by working in partnership with company platforms, enterprise architecture and Implement in Arena.
- Provide primary input into the Integration Testing Framework – reimaging testing vs. making old ways of working, faster- this framework will set the direction for what, how, when, who and why inside the Arena operating environment.
- Define & Implementing Test data management toolsets including Data Self Service and processes
- Obtain feedback on the product, using data, analytics, and customer input, to iterate and drive improvements in future releases of Arena tools, Running the ecosystem
- Our ideal candidate is expected to be adaptable across a wide range of different technology stacks i.e. Mainframe, Big Data, Web and Middleware technology
- Data analysis skills - ability to dig in and understand complex platform data models and Business processes.
- Mentor junior engineers, pair-program with them and model high-performing behaviors for them
- Proven problem-solving / problem-resolution abilities.
- Quickly generate and updating proof of concepts for testing and team feedback.
- Manage your own time and work well both independently and as part of a team.
- Embrace emerging standards while promoting best practices.
- Stakeholder management i.e., PD&I, Company Platforms, GTOS Operational support and representing Arena at multiple forums across company.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or other technical discipline preferred, or equivalent work experience required.
- 5+ years of software engineering with application development experience, demonstrated track record of launching products/programs with experience in two or more of the following languages: Mainframe, Big Data Stack, Java, Web Technologies.
- Experience facilitating Agile/Scrum, or other rapid application development teams to delivery technology solutions on time, on budget and to spec.
- Working experience in building large scale enterprise systems/products and also should have understanding of all aspect of a Product Development lifecycle.
- Hands-on experience on DevOps technologies and best practices: Continuous Integration and Continues Delivery using tools and automation testing capabilities such as XL Release, IBM Rational, Compuware Workbench, JUnit, TestNG, Jenkins, Git, Stash, Jira etc.
- Experienced in stakeholder management, clearly articulating program, progress with leaders. The ability to effectively communicate verbally and in writing to a broad audience of business, product and technology team members.
- Strong analytical ability to identify opportunities of improvement and data driven decision making abilities.
- Experience with TDM toolset implementation (in-house or industry tools) e.g. IBM OPTIM, CA Data Finder, Delphix, Informatica will be a plus.
- Working experience in American Express Consumer/Corporate/Commercial/Merchant Services company platforms combined with major product launches will be a plus.
- Certifications in Scrum Agilist/Practitioner or PMI Agile Certification Practitioner will be a plus.
- Technical certifications will be a plus
- You thrive in fast paced environment and gain great satisfaction from solving large scale technical problems.
- You are strategic and visionary in your problem solving and your solutions drive efficiency.
- You are passionate about DX, end-consumers (our customers) and generating business value.
- You are results-oriented and hold yourself accountable to outcomes.
- You make decisions with imperfect information with a bias to speed.
- You are excellent at balancing competing priorities.
- You solve complex problems with a blend of analytics, stakeholder feedback and intuition.
- Willing to explore/learn new technologies and exploit them to their optimal potential.
- You acknowledge, pivot and recover from your mistakes.
- You operate well under pressure.
- You have high standards of integrity and authenticity, and lead by example.
- You are intellectually curious, resilient, tenacious, and highly collaborative.
- You have a passion for new learning, new technology and maintain a balance of internal and external focus.
Employment eligibility to work with American Express in the U.S. is required as the company will not pursue visa sponsorship for these positions.
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time
Date Posted: May 30, 2019, 12:18:19 PM