American Express Careers
Director – Global Commercial Credit Risk Decision Science
Why American Express?
There’s a difference between having a job and making a difference.American Express has been making a difference in people’s lives for over 160 years,
backing them in moments big and small, granting access, tools, and resources to take on their biggest challenges and reap the greatest rewards.
We’ve also made a difference in the lives of our people, providing a culture of learning and collaboration, and helping them with what they need to succeed and thrive. We have their backs as they grow their skills, conquer new challenges, or even take time to spend with their family or community. And when they’re ready to take on a new career path, we’re right there with them, giving them the guidance and momentum into the best future they envision.
Because we believe that the best way to back our customers is to back our people.
The powerful backing of American Express.
Don’t make a difference without it.
Don’t live life without it.
The Credit & Fraud Risk team helps drive profitable business growth by reducing the risk of fraud and maintaining our customers' confidence in the security of our products. It utilizes an array of tools and ever-evolving technology to detect and combat fraud, minimize the disruption of good spending and provide a world-class customer experience. The team leads efforts that leverage data and digital advancements to improve service and risk management as well as enable commerce and drive innovation. CFR is responsible for developing and monitoring statistical models for predicting individual and commercial' behaviors such as credit risk, fraud risk, spending and revolve. These models are used for key business decisions made across the customer life cycle to manage risk and accelerate profitable business growth. Underpinning our growth as a company are the tools and capabilities that ensure we prudently take and manage risk in a viable way. As a part of Global Commercial Credit Risk Decision Science person is responsible for developing and monitoring statistical models for predicting individual and commercial credit risk. These models are used for key business decisions made across the customer life cycle to manage risk and accelerate profitable business growth
1. Accelerate the thinking and execution of Obligor Risk Models covering all card and non-card commercial portfolios with deeper understanding of business failures, enhanced model objective function and incorporate new data science innovation across commercial portfolios
2. Develop, Manage and Enhance the Client Credit Risk Models for Global Corporate Portfolio to tackle business liquidity risk
3. Partner with Commercial Data Science teams to incorporate new data science innovations across US/International markets. Partner with Central Credit Strategy/market risk teams globally to drive model usage and tackle business opportunities through credit risk model enhancements
4. Establish and Maintain a disciplined process of review customer cases to identify new model and variable opportunities
5. Experiment on new modelling approaches and Machine learning techniques to drive model innovation for Corporate portfolios
6. Provide People and thought leadership for 2 band 35 teams based out of Gurgaon
Critical Factors to Success:
1. Sound Knowledge of analysing financial statements of companies. Experience in fundamental rating/Underwriting commercial products to businesses.
2. Experience in creating and leading high performing and highly skilled teams
3. Strong people relationship building, management and influencing skills
4. Exceptional verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
At least 8 years of industry experience in Decision Science/Risk Modeling in preferred. Experience in dealing with Commercial risk models and products is an added advantage.
Master's Degree in a quantitative field (e.g. Finance, Engineering, Mathematics, Computer Science or Economics) or PhD or CFA level 3. Sound knowledge of Machine learning algorithms/econometrics/statistics/data mining and research methods.
Knowledge of Platforms:
Sound knowledge of Machine learning algorithms/econometrics/statistics/data mining and research methods.
Good knowledge of SAS/SQL/PYTHON etc.
Ability to manage large data sets.
Sound Knowledge of analysing financial statements of companies. Experience in fundamental rating/Underwriting commercial products to businesses.
Should possess strong analytical and problem solving skills and a tremendous will to win.
Demonstrated ability to provide insight and accurate judgment in addressing and resolving business challenges and opportunities
Technical Skills / Capabilities:
Experience in creating and leading high performing and highly skilled teams
Strong people relationship building, management and influencing skills
Exceptional verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
Enterprise Leadership Behaviors
• Set The Agenda: Define What Winning Looks Like, Put Enterprise Thinking First, Lead with an External Perspective
• Bring Others With You: Build the Best Team, Seek & Provide Coaching Feedback, Make Collaboration Essential
• Do It The Right Way: Communicate Frequently, Candidly & Clearly, Make Decisions Quickly & Effectively, Live the Blue Box Values, Great Leadership Demands Courage
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time
Date Posted: Jun 18, 2019, 6:11:02 AM