This Director role is a member of Global Accounting Policy & Advisory (GAPA) group within Global Controllership at American Express Company (the Company).
The GAPA Director will serve as the point of contact for controllers, providing technical accounting advisory services and thought leadership for a range of transactions executed primarily by the Company’s Global Treasury Organization, Corporate Development, and American Express National Bank. GAPA works closely with its Treasury and Corporate Development business partners on a one-on-one consultation basis, or as part of a broader team including other constituents such as tax, in-house and external counsel, business teams, legal entity teams and risk management. Transactions range from business and asset acquisitions and divestitures, recognition and impairment testing of goodwill, common control transactions, stock compensation, consolidations, debt issuance, foreign currency and interest rate hedging, asset-backed securitization and the purchase and sale of debt instruments.
Beyond providing technical accounting advice to the teams mentioned above, GAPA’s primary roles include technical accounting guidance to the Company’s broader Global Controllership organization on new products and transactions, as well as co-leading the implementation of emerging GAAP, updating and maintaining accounting policies, providing technical accounting training, and interacting with the Company’s internal and external auditors as well as influencing external standard setting.
This position offers excellent exposure to a diverse and talented team of controllership professionals who support a broad array of American Express businesses and products.
What Type of Work Will I Do
- Collaborate with Corporate Development, Global Treasury Operations, Global Treasury Controllership, American Express National Bank, and Credit & Fraud Risk Controllership by researching accounting topics and providing expert accounting guidance on complex accounting issues from concept to execution.
- Present impact assessments and technical accounting updates to senior leaders and the Company's auditors.
- Review Memorandums for Record prepared by controllers on accounting impacts of material deals and transactions.
- Support the development and implementation of technical accounting policies
- Assist in the impact assessment and implementation of newly issued US GAAP and IFRS accounting Standards, as they related to derivatives, capital markets and credit activities.
- Assist the GAPA training team in developing and delivering training across the company on technical accounting matters
- Assist, and at times manage, special projects, including preparation of board presentations, development of training, coordination of group meetings and other initiatives as required.
- Professional accounting experience, including experience at a large public accounting firm
- Strong technical understanding of US GAAP and IFRS, with a particular focus on financial instruments (ASC 815, ASC 820, ASC 825, IFRS 9) and/or M&A (ASC 805, ASC 810)
- The ability to develop optimal and compliant solutions to accounting and financial objectives and articulate complicated accounting concepts to a variety of audiences, many with minimal accounting knowledge.
- An affinity and ability for developing strong relationships.
- Excellent numeracy, written and verbal communication skills; confident and engaging.
- Excellent leadership and collaborative skills, with the ability to generate action, influence decisions with limited authority and manage expectations in high-pressure situations.
- CPA, Chartered Accountant or equivalent required
- The role will be based in New York. Other US locations may be considered.
Why work in Finance at American Express?
There’s a difference between having a job and making a difference. American Express has been making a difference in people’s lives for over 160 years, backing them in moments big and small, granting access, tools and resources to take on their biggest challenges and reap the greatest rewards.
We’ve also made a difference in the lives of our people, providing a culture of learning and collaboration, and helping them with what they need to succeed and thrive. We have their backs as they grow their skills, conquer new challenges, or even take time to spend with their family or community.
At the center of American Express and all key business decisions is Finance. Finance provides decision support, funding and meaningful analytics that help grow our business and uphold our reputation as one of the premier finance organizations in the world.
Whether you’re working with a business unit focused on the consumers, small business or major corporations, you’ll have the opportunity and resources available to make an impact.
Depending on factors such as business unit requirements, the nature of the position, cost and applicable laws, American Express may provide visa sponsorship for certain positions.
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time
Date Posted: Jun 3, 2019, 8:46:09 AM