American Express Careers
Mgr/Sr Mgr-Risk Management
The mission of the Operational Risk Governance Group (ORGG) is to drive the operational risk program at American Express in a comprehensive and complete manner to enable growth for the enterprise, while being consistent with expectations of the Company’s legal and regulatory requirements.
The Process Risk Self-Assessment (PRSA) Office is responsible for establishing, developing and maintaining the corporate-wide PRSA Framework and supporting standards, training, tools and methodologies. As part of the second line of defense, they provide effective challenge on the adequacy of operational risk management through monitoring activities. Through a collaborative partnership with the Business and other key Amex teams, the PRSA Office provides operational risk guidance and oversight through the design, implementation and ongoing management of the Company’s Operational Risk Framework.
Primary responsibilities for incumbent are to drive the development, deployment, monitoring and reporting of the PRSA framework throughout American Express’ business areas and legal entities. Specifically, this role will:
- Analyze data and processes, derive strategic insights, provide thought leadership into key findings and actionable recommendations to influence program strategy
- Drive the PRSA program forward through planning and executing on above-mentioned actionable recommendations
- Oversee current risk assessment tools and techniques while establishing and maintaining guidelines and policies to support the deployment of risk assessment activities
- Improve current governance processes by driving improvement through identification of efficiencies and risk management strengthening opportunities
- Coordinate with operational risk subject matter experts to ensure full integration of operational risk areas of exposure and enablement of convergence principles
- Support business units and enterprise groups in the deployment of risk assessment activities throughout their organizations and in a manner consistent with prescribed policy and guidance
- Perform qualitative and quantitative analysis of risk assessment results for quality, trends and themes, and for data that exceeds established escalation thresholds; The successful candidate must be able to generate insights and conclusions from voluminous data and be detailed oriented
- Drive the preparation of appropriate reporting for oversight committees and senior management, both within the Operational risk management function and the business
- Exceptional communication skills with the ability to convey strategic insight and thought leadership in identifying emerging operational risk issues
- Strong analytical, collaborative, organizational, and problem-solving skills with strong attention to detail
- Consultative experience: Should have ability to independently analyze risk information, propose improvements and mitigation strategies, develop plan, and action within tight timelines
- Highly motivated individual with desire to work on ambiguous projects, with the ability to break down and execute on complex ideas
- Ability to plan and drive change through cross-organizational efforts
- 3-6 years experience in risk management, internal control within the Banking or financial services industries
- In depth knowledge and experience in risk and control frameworks and the ability to integrate and automate disparate processes
- Be able to lead multiple project streams simultaneously and to thrive in an environment with many ad-hoc activities and competing priorities
- Have the ability to work collaboratively with BUs in analyzing data to enable the business to manage operational risk exposures
- Exceptional presentation skills, particularly in the development of compelling and insightful materials
- Ability to deliver high quality, actionable feedback to management
- Experience in process improvement
- Experience with Tableau or similar visualization tools
- Professional certifications (e.g. CRISC, CISA, CISM, PMP)
- Working knowledge of Archer and Process Risk Self Assessments (PRSA)
- In-depth knowledge of risk assessment, framework design, and governance
Why American Express?
There’s a difference between having a job and making a difference.
American Express has been making a difference in people’s lives for over 160 years, backing them in moments big and small, granting access, tools, and resources to take on their biggest challenges and reap the greatest rewards.
We’ve also made a difference in the lives of our people, providing a culture of learning and collaboration, and helping them with what they need to succeed and thrive. We have their backs as they grow their skills, conquer new challenges, or even take time to spend with their family or community. And when they’re ready to take on a new career path, we’re right there with them, giving them the guidance and momentum into the best future they envision.
Because we believe that the best way to back our customers is to back our people.
The powerful backing of American Express.
Don’t make a difference without it.
Don’t live life without it.
Employment eligibility to work with American Express in the U.S. is required as the company will not pursue visa sponsorship for these positions.
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time
Date Posted: Jun 10, 2019, 7:59:07 AM