American Express Careers
Manager & Counsel
General Counsel’s Organization:
Where great legal minds influence global business strategy.
Our mission is to protect and strengthen American Express through legal expertise and strategic advice that helps our business partners manage risk, identify opportunities, and deliver on the company’s promise of exceptional products and services. Given the dynamic nature of the global payments industry and the valued partnership between our team and the business, we see it as imperative to attract and develop talented people by:
- Providing rich work experiences and opportunities for professional development
- Recognizing and rewarding those who drive and deliver results
- Respecting and valuing diversity, integrity, and personal accountability
Help propel your team and its business partners to success.
The Enterprise & Regulatory Legal Team of the General Counsel’s Organization at American Express is seeking a Manager & Counsel to provide legal and strategic support on bank regulatory issues.
Here’s just some of what you’ll do in this role:
- Monitor regulatory developments and develop appropriate summaries for distribution to key stakeholders
- Conduct legal research in support of the Enterprise & Regulatory Legal Team with a focus on bank regulatory issues
- Review and negotiation of basic contracts
- Provide guidance and advice to the Global Risk, Banking & Compliance organization
- Collaborate with colleagues across the General Counsel’s Organization and other groups
Are you ready for the challenge?
- J.D. with admission to practice law in the U.S.
- 3+ years of work experience in a law firm and/or in-house corporate legal environment
- Interest in developing a deep understanding of business needs and objectives with a close partnership with business clients
- Strong communication skills with ability to convey advice clearly and synthesize complex issues
- Must work well in cross-functional team settings
- J.D. with admission to practice law in the United States
- Strong experience with U.S. bank regulatory matters (consumer and/or prudential)
- Experience working with financial institutions
- Experience drafting and negotiating commercial contracts
- Passion for working towards creative, solution-oriented outcomes that effectively address legal requirements
- Independent, capable of handling multiple assignments simultaneously
- Location: 200 Vesey St, New York, NY 10285; 801 Pennsylvania Ave., NW, Washington, DC 20004; or 1500 NW 136th Avenue, Sunrise, FL 33323
- Visa Sponsorship: Employment eligibility to work with American Express in the U.S. is required as the company will not pursue visa sponsorship for this position.
There’s a difference between having a job and making a difference.
American Express has been making a difference in people’s lives for over 160 years, backing them in moments big and small, granting access, tools, and resources to take on their biggest challenges and reap the greatest rewards.
We’ve also made a difference in the lives of our people, providing a culture of learning and collaboration, and helping them with what they need to succeed and thrive. We have their backs as they grow their skills, conquer new challenges, or even take time to spend with their family or community. And when they’re ready to take on a new career path, we’re right there with them, giving them the guidance and momentum into the best future they envision.
Because we believe that the best way to back our customers is to back our people.
The powerful backing of American Express.
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time
Date Posted: Jun 11, 2019, 3:39:20 PM