American Express Careers
Director – Data Science and Analytics, Global Rewards Finance
The Global Rewards Finance team manages one of American Express’s largest balance sheet items – the reserve for Membership Rewards [MR] in the US and in over twenty international markets. The team also provides strategic financial analysis to help develop winning strategies in order to enhance our cardmember experience, grow our business, and uphold our reputation.
This Director-level role leads a team of managers and analysts responsible for development & implementation of statistical models to forecast the Ultimate Redemption Rate [URR], associated model governance as well as ad-hoc loyalty analytics. The ideal candidate will bring a unique balance of strong modeling skills combined with sophisticated communication skills in order to build strong, trust-based relationships with both business partners and oversight agencies. He or she will be responsible for ensuring the accuracy and financial integrity of our models while also looking to drive optimal business outcomes in the rewards space.
- Serve as model owner for the US and International Ultimate Redemption Rate predictive models, which are a critical component in calculating and booking AXP’s $8Bn+ MR liability
- Collaborate with and be able to influence model governance agencies, including but not limited to the Model Risk Management Group [MRMG], the Internal Audit Group [IAG], and our external auditors Pricewaterhouse Coopers [PwC] regarding the accuracy and effectiveness of our URR models
- Ensure strict financial rigor for existing models and processes in addition to continually enhancing model performance, stability, and predictability
- Provide thought leadership and creativity in solving challenging business problems relating to decision support and / or URR modelling
- Develop and drive analyses which provide new levels of understanding for business partners through detailed investigations of customer behaviors, synthesizing data and leveraging statistical techniques
- Lead and develop a team with strong analytical and technical skills
- Manage the migration of rewards data into our Cornerstone big data environment, with a focus on leveraging the next-generation of analytics tools, including but not limited to, machine learning techniques to drive actionable insights in the rewards space
- Direct experience building and maintaining predictive models is required
- Advanced degree in statistics, mathematics, economics, or a related field is strongly preferred
- Demonstrated analytical skills and the ability to effectively influence others
- Solid commercial acumen, strategic thinking, and point-of-view on the evolution of rewards
- Ability to make well-reasoned recommendations, from financial, academic, and strategic points of view
- Exceptional relationship and collaboration skills, including the ability to work in a highly-matrixed environment
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to tailor complex messages to non-technical audiences
- Track record of effectively coaching and developing colleagues
- Prior experiences working with machine learning models desired
- Minimum 6 years of relevant work experience
Depending on factors such as business unit requirements, the nature of the position, cost and applicable laws, American Express may provide visa sponsorship for certain positions.
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time
Date Posted: Jun 11, 2019, 3:19:02 PM