American Express Careers
The U.S. Banking Controllership team within American Express is responsible for overseeing and managing the accounting activities primarily for American Express National Bank (“AENB”) which comprises a significant portion of the American Express business. Broadly, the Controllership team ensures the integrity of the Banks’ financial results in accordance with U.S. GAAP, provides an effective control environment over financial reporting, works to eliminate controllable financial risk, and supports growth in the business while balancing control and compliance. We work extensively with other Finance colleagues and subject matter experts, Global Banking Group teams and leaders, business partners, General Counsel’s Office, and various regulatory agencies (i.e., FRB, OCC, and UDFI), among others. The team is committed to excellence, talent development, encouraging work/life balance, and timely recognition of team members.
The Accounting Analyst will be a member of the U.S. Banking Controllership team. The Team provides accounting and financial reporting for American Express National Bank.
The Intercompany Accounting Analyst within U.S. Banking Controllership will report directly to the Intercompany Accounting Manager. This individual will be primarily responsible for:
- Monthly General Ledger close activities including completing journal entries, account reconciliations, and variance analysis.
- Serve as a subject matter expert on intercompany related activity as well as technical accounting oversight for new initiatives resulting in intercompany transactions.
- Evaluate control processes to identify and implement process improvements and ensure compliance with SOX and other internal control requirements. This individual will also be responsible for testing SOX and FDICIA controls throughout the year.
- Provide accounting support on special projects related to key business and financial initiatives.
Other key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Timely completion of affiliate transaction testing, invoice reconciliation, expense analysis and reporting on intercompany transactions
- Preparation of support related to intercompany financial statement items throughout the close process, including variance analysis and preparation of financial statement footnotes
- Support audit requests and deliverables from Regulators, Internal Audit, and Independent Compliance Testing on matters pertaining to intercompany accounting
- Develop strong working relationships with business partners and cross-functional teams
- Proactively seek opportunities for process improvement through ongoing review of processes / methods of data collection and report preparation to create efficiencies and eliminate non-value added work.
- Minimum of 2 years of relevant work experience, including financial reporting, accounting, and/or audit
- Undergraduate degree in Accounting or Finance required. MBA or Masters of Accounting is preferred
- Understanding of U.S. GAAP, finance practices, bank regulations, and regulatory reporting guidelines
- An understanding of closing processes, journal entries and accruals, settlement processes, and reconciliations
- Ability to manage multiple priorities, drive projects, improve processes, and work well under time-pressured deadlines
- Demonstrated analytical and problem solving skills
- Strong spreadsheet skills with the ability to present financial information clearly and concisely
- Dedicated, reliable, self-motivated individual with strong organizational capabilities
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a team and to lead initiatives and maintain strong working relationships with business partners
- Ability to ensure that the daily, weekly and month-end responsibilities are completed timely
- Must be flexible and adaptable in a continuously changing environment and have a strong work ethic in order to meet deadlines and provide a quality product to customers
Employment eligibility to work with American Express in the U.S. is required as the company will not pursue visa sponsorship for these positions.
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time
Date Posted: Jun 13, 2019, 2:46:57 PM