American Express Careers
Manager and Counsel
- Support Business Development. Support the American Express Global Merchant Services, Global Corporate Services, Proprietary Card Services or other business groups as required, in assessing their legal position and advising internal clients directly regarding a broad range of contracts, new or evolving products, risk management or regulatory issues and regularly collaborating with offshore lawyers and business clients on global or regional projects within the context of the financial services industry. The Manager and Counsel will also be required to provide other legal or regulatory advice and support as required or assigned by GCO management.
- Manage Business Contracts. Draft, review, negotiate and advise on a wide range of contracts across a variety of different business lines, including regional/global merchant and card acceptance contracts, incentive and marketing agreements, sponsorship agreements and partnership agreements. Provide advice and assistance to management on standard and non-standard agreements and terms and conditions of business or business processes. Provide advice and assistance on global projects and new products. Provide regulatory advice and assistance on corporate services and corporate governance work on an ad hoc manner.
- Technical Legal skills: This role requires a lawyer of 2-5 years PQE with a working knowledge and understanding of several areas of law outlined above. Must have commercial/corporate law experience, proven legal drafting skills and exceptional relationship management skills. Demonstratable experience in providing commercial and business savvy legal advice in the context of business operations is essential.
- Communication. First class oral and written communication skills, in particular the ability to
- (a) explain complex legal matters clearly and concisely to non-specialists and
- (b) advise senior leaders persuasively and with confidence.
- Professional poise. Maintains grace under pressure and demonstrates an ability to impart discipline and calm to stressful situations. Holds their own in live discussions where differing views are expressed. A persuasive advocate who is not afraid to convey unwelcome messages yet partners with the business to identify practical solutions. Ability to work under time pressure to meet tight deadlines and clients’ expectations. Able to work autonomously as well as part of a wider team both locally and globally.
- An organized self-starter who takes ownership. Takes the initiative to learn independently rather than passively. Can prioritise and manage working for multiple stakeholders. Sees what needs to be done and then does it. Takes responsibility for understanding and solving problems. This role requires a highly organized and methodical work-style, with proven prioritization skills and a high level of commitment.
Why American Express?
There’s a difference between having a job and making a difference.
American Express has been making a difference in people’s lives for over 160 years, backing them in moments big and small, granting access, tools, and resources to take on their biggest challenges and reap the greatest rewards.
We’ve also made a difference in the lives of our people, providing a culture of learning and collaboration, and helping them with what they need to succeed and thrive. We have their backs as they grow their skills, conquer new challenges, or even take time to spend with their family or community. And when they’re ready to take on a new career path, we’re right there with them, giving them the guidance and momentum into the best future they envision.
Because we believe that the best way to back our customers is to back our people.
The powerful backing of American Express.
Don’t make a difference without it.
Don’t live life without it.
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time
Date Posted: Jun 13, 2019, 9:12:16 PM