Why American Express?
You won’t just shape the world of software.
You’ll shape the world of life, work and play.
Our Software Engineers not only understand how technology works, but how that technology intersects with the people who count on it every day. Today, innovative ideas, insight and new perspectives are at the core of how we create a more powerful, personal and fulfilling experience for all our customers. So if you’re interested in a career creating breakthrough software and making an impact on an audience of millions, look no further.
You won’t just keep up, you’ll break new ground.
There are hundreds of opportunities to make your mark on technology and life at American Express. Here’s just some of what you’ll be doing:
- Serve as a core member of an agile team driving the latest development practices
- Write code and unit tests, automate processes and work other developers, leads and architects
- Identify opportunities for adopting new technologies, industry standards and best practices.
- Drive the development and transformation of international capabilities, including marketing and analytical solutions for multiple lines of businesses.
- Develop proof of concepts using technologies across the Big Data stack to enhance marketing capabilities in partnership with multiple engineering teams.
- Write code and unit tests, works on API specs, automation, and conduct code reviews & testing
- Identify innovative ideas to deliver against the existing and future needs of customers.
- Facilitate migration of POD capabilities by documenting and re-engineering processes.
- Own all technical aspects of software development for assigned applications.
- Typically spend 70% of time coding and remaining time in testing, documentation and collaborating with stakeholders.
- Provide continuous support for ongoing application availability
- Taking your place as a core member of an agile team driving the latest development practices
Are you up for the challenge?
8+ years of proven, hands-on experience with Object-Oriented Design and development using a variety of languages like Java, Scala, Python and Big Data Components/ Frameworks - Hadoop, HBase, HDFS, Pig, Hive, Spark etc.
BS or MS degree in computer science, computer engineering, or other technical discipline, or equivalent work experience
Strong understanding of data structures and algorithms
Demonstrated experience with building parallel and distributed systems
Experience with Database query optimization and indexing (Relational or NoSQL DBs)
Experience with Web Services design and implementation using REST/SOAP
Knowledge of stream processing and SPARK
Looks proactively beyond the obvious for continuous improvement opportunities
Ability to understand requirements and communicate with business partners
Strong written and verbal communication skills
Mentoring junior engineers
Willingness to learn new technologies and exploit them to their optimal potential
At the core of Software Engineering
Every member of our team must be able to demonstrate the following technical, functional, leadership and business core competencies, including:
- Agile Practices
- Porting/Software Configuration
- Programming Languages and Frameworks
- Business Analysis
- Analytical Thinking
- Business Product Knowledge
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time
Date Posted: Aug 22, 2019, 6:48:20 AM