American Express Careers
Senior Manager, Marketing-Value Programs, Shop Small and Card Member Favorite
Why American Express:
There’s a difference between having a job and making a difference.
American Express has been making a difference in people’s lives for over 160 years, backing them in moments big and small, granting access, tools, and resources to take on their biggest challenges and reap the greatest rewards.
We’ve also made a difference in the lives of our people, providing a culture of learning and collaboration, and helping them with what they need to succeed and thrive. We have their backs as they grow their skills, conquer new challenges, or even take time to spend with their family or community. And when they’re ready to take on a new career path, we’re right there with them, giving them the guidance and momentum into the best future they envision.
Because we believe that the best way to back our customers is to back our people.
The powerful backing of American Express.
Don’t make a difference without it.
Don’t live life without it.
The U.S. Merchant Marketing organization falls within Global Merchant Services (GMS), the marketing team at American Express that manages the relationships with the millions of merchants around the world that accept American Express Cards. GMS serves as a merchant acquirer, payments processor and marketing partner for merchants of all sizes, including small, regional, national and global businesses.
GMS Marketing is dedicated to bringing buyers and sellers together and transforming how American Express is welcomed. It is responsible for partnering with key stakeholders to drive profitable growth, accelerate merchant coverage and enhance the value of Amex acceptance to merchants and Card Members at scale.
The position provides an opportunity to be at the center of one of the highest priorities for American Express and Global Merchant Services: Growing the number of merchants that actively accept American Express and ensuring they feel the value in acceptance every day. As a part of the US Merchant Marketing Team, this Senior Manager will act as the Program Marketing Owner responsible for two of our key value drivers – Card Member Favorite and Shop Small – and ensuring that they deliver value to our merchant base. This individual will further develop and refine these programs to meet the needs of our merchants and partners, leveraging insights to ensure a constant slate of “new news” to promote, as well as a clear + compelling value proposition, messaging hierarchy and value claims. A particular focus will be on developing and executing on one of our Big Bets: a “Shop Small Year Round” program for our Merchants to demonstrate our ongoing backing of small merchants. The Senior Manager will partner closely with Global Advertising and Brand Management (GABM), Analytics, Go-to-Market teams and Client Management, influencing across band levels to effectively bring value to life for our merchant base with these two programs.
- Lead the E2E Program Development of Card Member Favorite, a loyalty program focused on recognizing the merchants our Card Members value and visit the most. This will include:
- Definition of the program’s eligibility and, in partnership with analytics, the identification of merchants selected for the program.
- Development of insights-based recommendations to improve the value proposition and messaging hierarchy.
- Creation of claims, testimonials, one-pagers and other content to demonstrate the program’s value to our merchant base, as well as the training of key internal partners (including Issuers and Client Management).
- Partnership with Go-to-Market team to ensure a robust merchant marketing plan.
- Serve as the USMM lead for all things Shop Small / Small Business Saturday, with a focus on delivering a “Shop Small Every Day” experience for our small merchants.
- Partner closely with GABM to influence Shop Small / Small Business Saturday activities to ensure that they deliver strong Merchant Value and have a focus on driving Perceptions of Coverage, while also finding opportunities to “pull through” key programming elements for our merchants.
- Working across the team, develop the appropriate messaging hierarchy across our channels for Shop Small / Small Business Saturday, ensuring a robust and cohesive value story.
- Ideate and develop “new news” including content, new programming, and assets for our merchants to participate in “Shop Small Year Round.”
- Partner closely with Go-To-Market and Partner Marketing teams to get the message out to merchants and acquisition partners.
The candidate should be an experienced manager who is a high-energy, proactive, team player - with a proven track record for driving results.
The successful candidate will have:
- 5-7 years of experience developing and executing winning strategies, with proven ability to leverage insights to distill key points of value and bring these to life in strong messaging.
- Proven experience finding a path to action in white space, leveraging data and insights as well as a keen understanding of the customer to create new value.
- Excellent partner management experience, including a track record of success building/nurturing relationships at all levels.
- Strong executive presence and ability to communicate + influence effectively at all levels.
- Strong project management skills and great attention to detail, with the ability to independently move multiple projects forward in parallel.
- Known for exhibiting a growth mindset and comfort with ambiguity and change.
- AXP marketing experience is a plus.
- Bachelor’s Degree is required, Master’s Degree is a plus
Employment eligibility to work with American Express in the U.S. is required as the company will not pursue visa sponsorship for these positions.
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time
Date Posted: Jul 8, 2019, 3:38:44 PM