American Express Careers
Manager, Derivatives & Hedging - Global Treasury Controllership (GTC)
The Manager, Derivatives & Hedging - Global Treasury Controllership (GTC) is part of the American Express Global Controllership Organization. GTC plays a significant role in the external reporting for the Company including, SEC and Bank Holding Company filings and earnings release supplements.
This role is responsible for assisting in ensuring appropriate and consistent accounting and reporting for the Company’s derivatives portfolio, which includes:
- Providing accounting guidance to business unit controllership teams and Treasury
- Monitoring and application of emerging US GAAP related to derivative accounting & valuations
- Quarterly analysis and reporting of derivative activities to SEC and the FED
- Lead or support various derivatives related projects
- Providing ongoing subject matter expertise on Accounting and reporting for derivative transactions, foreign currency transactions and fair value measurements.
- Providing ongoing subject matter expertise on Accumulated Other Comprehensive Income (AOCI) especially in relation to cumulative translation adjustment.
- Ensuring compliance with hedge accounting, including hedge documentation, effectiveness assessment and ineffectiveness measurement under ASC 815.
- Performance of detailed analysis of market impacts on the derivative portfolio.
- Preparation/review of footnotes for AXP and major legal entities' financials, review and compilation of MD&A disclosures, and detailed review of related regulatory filings.
- This position will work closely with Treasury’s global liquidity, exposure management, valuation, external reporting and global accounting policy groups.
- The individual filling the role must also build successful relationships with business partners (e.g. Treasury, Financial Reporting, Investor Relations, Legal and Tax).
- Additional responsibilities include participation in various ad hoc projects, creating, updating and monitoring compliance with accounting policies in the Treasury area.
- 3-5 years’ experience in finance and accounting – experience in Big 4 preferred
- Good understanding of US GAAP (ASC 815, 820 and 830) and regulatory requirements for Bank Holding Companies
- Good collaborative, relationship building experience
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- Experience in Treasury/Treasury Controllership and/or knowledge of capital markets is a plus
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or Finance; CPA preferred.
Employment eligibility to work with American Express in the U.S. is required as the company will not pursue visa sponsorship for these positions.
Why American Express?
There’s a difference between having a job and making a difference.
American Express has been making a difference in people’s lives for over 160 years, backing them in moments big and small, granting access, tools, and resources to take on their biggest challenges and reap the greatest rewards.
We’ve also made a difference in the lives of our people, providing a culture of learning and collaboration, and helping them with what they need to succeed and thrive. We have their backs as they grow their skills, conquer new challenges, or even take time to spend with their family or community. And when they’re ready to take on a new career path, we’re right there with them, giving them the guidance and momentum into the best future they envision.
Because we believe that the best way to back our customers is to back our people.
The powerful backing of American Express.
Don’t make a difference without it.
Don’t live life without it.
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time
Date Posted: Jul 5, 2019, 3:55:53 PM