American Express Careers
Senior Manager, Strategic Value Management
American Express has been making a difference in people’s lives for over 160 years, backing them in moments big and small, granting access, tools, and resources to take on their biggest challenges and reap the greatest rewards.
We’ve also made a difference in the lives of our people, providing a culture of learning and collaboration, and helping them with what they need to succeed and thrive. We have their backs as they grow their skills, conquer new challenges, or even take time to spend with their family or community. And when they’re ready to take on a new career path, we’re right there with them, giving them the guidance and momentum into the best future they envision.
Because we believe that the best way to back our customers is to back our people.
You won’t just shape the world of payments.
You’ll shape the world of life, work and play.
Enterprise Platforms: Building the platform for speed and innovation at American Express.
We are on a mission to dramatically improve speed to market, agility and efficiency at American Express by:
- Reimagining solution delivery with next generation product management, lean and Agile practices, and on-demand development;
- Driving a sustainable platform strategy that adapts to growth and industry trends;
- Building global, composable, and real time platforms to power our digital lives while -
Delivering world-class software and seamless customer experiences.
Are you passionate about new technology and new ways of working? Do you like to collaborate to solve problems and make things better for thousands of colleagues? Platform Strategy is a newly formed team within the Enterprise Platforms (EP) Center of Excellence at American Express, responsible for our enterprise initiative to transform core platforms while piloting and scaling new software delivery models.
The Senior Manager, Strategic Value Management role is a unique opportunity for a motivated, accomplished professional with a strategic product or financial background to define, manage, and communicate the value story, measurement, and financial storyline of our transformation. The Senior Manager, Strategic Value Management will partner with stakeholders across the enterprise to design and develop views and metrics that enable strategic decision making by the Technology Leadership Team, Line of Business leaders, and Product stakeholders and drive transformative outcomes.
As the Senior Manager, Strategic Value Management, you will:
- Refine and evangelize the value proposition of key initiatives, creating high quality and compelling communication, marketing materials, and communication strategies for stakeholders across the enterprise to convey the right message to the right audience at the right time
- Build and enhance financial models and business cases that support complex strategies, partnering closely with EP leadership, Finance, Portfolio, Talent Strategy, and product and engineering teams across the enterprise to:
- Develop clear and consistent definitions of cost and benefit drivers across platforms, and define and execute methods for monitoring and measuring these drivers
- Create and deliver insightful communication for leaders and executives, highlighting performance against strategies and outcomes
- Develop key metrics and an EP dashboard that tie to defined objectives, applying existing measurements such as OKRs and KPIs, and leading and facilitating data gathering and solutioning workshops as needed
- Design and manage lightweight collaborative processes, including inputs, outputs, and structured communications for keeping models and metrics current
- Apply understanding of software development concepts such as agile development, APIs, applications, and platforms, and link financial strategies to product delivery
- Leverage and integrate with larger budgeting and planning processes, such as Tech Investment and Annual Planning
- Independently drive project progress by managing relationships with stakeholders, identifying opportunities and obstacles/risks, developing strategic recommendations, and ensuring deliverables are optimally executed
- Lead and plan meetings intentionally, anticipating audience perspectives and setting the right lead-up, goals, and agenda
- Build and maintain strong working relationships with key stakeholders at all levels in order to achieve results and enact wide-scale impact across the enterprise
- Help build an awesome culture across Enterprise Platforms by participating in team building and colleague engagement activities
- Bachelor’s degree with a strong record of academic achievement is required; MBA or equivalent degree in relevant subject highly preferredYou have deep experience and proven thought leadership in a financial, portfolio, or strategic product management role, and a strong foundation of knowledge in accounting and finance, with the ability to translate complex strategies into meaningful financial models.
- You have a robust toolbox with a variety of methods to develop and execute strategy.
- You know that true outcomes are not accidental, they are crafted with relentless preparation, collaborative leadership, empathy, and deep focus on the details.
- You have the courage and conviction to continuously deliver results in a dynamic environment and navigate high levels of ambiguity comfortably.
- You demonstrate a drive for results and pursue efforts with energy, even in the face of challenge
- You are able to lead and influence without authority at multiple levels across technology, product, and business functions.
- You are adept at building relationships, with strong consultative and collaborative skills to partner with leaders across business and technology.
- You have superb verbal and written communication skills, with the ability to understand your audience and build presentations to structure your message and effectively inform and persuade, especially in PowerPoint.
- You are a problem solver with excellent analytical and data management skills.
- Working knowledge of technology investment planning and related processes
- Advanced MS Excel skills and highly proficient across MS Office applications.
- Familiarity with agile management tools such as Rally and Jira preferred
Employment eligibility to work with American Express in the U.S. is required as the company will not pursue visa sponsorship for these positions.
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time
Date Posted: Aug 14, 2019, 8:35:45 AM