American Express Careers
Why American Express
There’s a difference between having a job and making a difference.
American Express has been making a difference in people’s lives for over 160 years, backing them in moments big and small, granting access, tools, and resources to take on their biggest challenges and reap the greatest rewards.
We’ve also made a difference in the lives of our people, providing a culture of learning and collaboration, and helping them with what they need to succeed and thrive. We have their backs as they grow their skills, conquer new challenges, or even take time to spend with their family or community. And when they’re ready to take on a new career path, we’re right there with them, giving them the guidance and momentum into the best future they envision.
Because we believe that the best way to back our customers is to back our people.
The powerful backing of American Express.
Don’t make a difference without it.
Don’t live life without it.
Engineering Director, Authorization Fraud Risk
American Express’ authorization fraud risk is driven by an energetic team of highly skilled software engineers. The group is nimble, and creative, delivering key business features in an agile methodology. This is a great opportunity to join the Authorizations Technology organization and be part of a journey to extend, transform, and support, one of the most critical platforms within American Express.
Some of the key traits we are looking for: deep technical engineering expertise, strong TPF assembler system and application design knowledge, proven experience leading software engineering and supporting enterprise wide high availability platforms. Successful candidate must be able to set, drive and deliver on technical goals, have a very consistent commitment to quality, strong understanding of credit card fraud techniques, bold decision making, and have the focus on delivering for their customer. The candidate must have demonstrated clear examples of experience in all aspects of managing, designing, engineering and operationally maintaining a critical “always on” application platform. The candidate needs to be hands on in the area of software design and must have a proven track record of being a software engineer and current in zTPF assembler and zTPF C.
As the Engineering Director for American Express Authorization Fraud, you will be responsible for the design and engineering of the authorization fraud software capabilities.
- Drive technical projects with a range of engineering teams to build, design, implement and maintain some of the most core applications at the heart of the company
- Identify and drive automation across the portfolio
- Provide leadership and mentorship of teams and manage collaboration with cross-functional engineering teams, product teams and line of business fraud risk teams
- Deliver software supporting very high transaction volumes and very low latencies, while providing 5+ nines of system availability
- Have ability to cultivate R&D, innovation, technology step changes and new technology adoption
- Hands on with zTPF Assembler, zTPF C, Java , distributed and TCPIP infrastructure and common fraud risk concepts
- Set goals, strategies, capacity, and oversee deployment of large-scale projects across the platform
Your performance is measured by the achievement of high availability targets, agile delivery targets, code quality, test automation and the fraud strategies you implement; as well as, by your ability to lead and inspire high-performing cross-functional teams.
Here is what we are looking for:
- 10+ years of experience as a hands-on technical leader working across a mix of software engineer, product, infrastructure and architecture teams
- Technical fluency - an ability to clearly describe tradeoffs with product owner partners, line of business users and engineers about certain decisions.
- Highly organized - you are great at research and documenting your learnings
- A history of leveraging both automation and operations teams to scale execution
- Loves dealing with fast pace, changing needs, and limited resources.
- Extensive hands-on experience building and managing the development of complex, large scale enterprise applications that require a deep understanding of business logic and application dependencies
- Proven experience attracting, hiring, leading and retaining top engineering talent
- The ability to set a high bar for your team and empower them to achieve great results
- A “driver” personality - constantly pushing toward quality, clarity and delivery while balancing the need for great collaboration.
- Experience with Scrum, Kanban, or another Agile (SAFe) application development methodology
- Bachelor’s Degree in computer science, computer science engineering, or commensurate experience required
- Technical understanding must go from the highest abstractions down to the operating system and CPU.
- Solid experience of zTPF Assembler, zTPF C, with Java experience a plus.
- Solid understanding of networking and systems engineering.
- Strong organization and prioritization skills along with outstanding written and verbal communication skills.
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time
Date Posted: Jul 3, 2019, 10:47:40 PM