American Express Careers
Big Data Engineer
Why American Express
There’s a difference between having a job and making a difference.
American Express has been making a difference in people’s lives for over 160 years, backing them in moments big and small, granting access, tools, and resources to take on their biggest challenges and reap the greatest rewards.
We’ve also made a difference in the lives of our people, providing a culture of learning and collaboration, and helping them with what they need to succeed and thrive. We have their backs as they grow their skills, conquer new challenges, or even take time to spend with their family or community. And when they’re ready to take on a new career path, we’re right there with them, giving them the guidance and momentum into the best future they envision.
Because we believe that the best way to back our customers is to back our people.
The powerful backing of American Express.
Don’t make a difference without it.
Don’t live life without it.
This is a great opportunity to join the Enterprise Big Data & Customer Engagement Technology organization (EDCE) within American Express. This organization is agile, innovative, highly skilled, harnessing the power of Big Data in shaping technology roadmaps and revolutionizing product offerings and capabilities and provide support across all line of business (LOBs).
We are looking for energetic, high-performing, and highly skilled Engineers to help shape our technology and product roadmap. This role will be part of the Merchant Data team within the EDCE organization. The Merchant Data team is a fast-paced, entrepreneurial team with a key focus on providing the highest quality merchant data across the enterprise by leveraging the best technology and data sources and maximizing process efficiencies.
The ideal candidate is knowledgeable of development, automation and deployment of software solutions in the Big Data environment, with strong focus on machine learning algorithm as well as API design and user experience. You will be expected to develop and support innovative and efficient solutions leveraging existing and emerging technologies for use cases across multiple business units. You will work with the Business as well as with other Technology teams across the enterprise.
- Software development, such as coding assignments
- Function as member of an agile team by contributing to software builds through consistent development practices (tools, common components, and documentation)
- Participate in code reviews and automated testing
- Debug basic software components and identify code defects for remediation
- Enable the deployment, support, and monitoring of software across test, integration, and production environments
- Automate deployments in test or production environments
- Automatically scale applications based on demand projections
- Demonstrate increased self-reliance to achieve team goals
- Influence team members with innovative changes and improvements by challenging status quo and demonstrating risk taking
- Bachelor’s Degree in computer science, computer science engineering, or related experience required; advanced degree preferred
- Familiar with Agile or other rapid application development methods plus Agile Tools like Rally
- Familiar with American Express merchant data
- Up to 6 years of software development experience in a professional environment and/or comparable experience such as:
- Hands-on expertise with application design, software development and automated testing
- Experience with distributed (multi-tiered) systems, algorithms, and relational databases
- Experience with Web services and Open API developments
- Experience with design and coding in Big Data environment
- Familiar with machine learning techniques and algorithm such as GBM, Clustering, Random Forest, etc.
Preferred Knowledge and Experiences:
- Knowledge and/or hands-on experience with application design and software development in Big Data across one or more platforms, languages, and tools (e.g. Java, J2EE, Big Data Components/ Frameworks Hadoop, HBase, MapReduce, HDFS, Pig, Hive, Python, Spark, Spring Boot, Elasticsearch, etc.)
- Experience with automated release management using tools/technologies/frameworks like Maven, Subversion, code/security review tools
- Familiar with Dev Ops automated testing tools such Sonarqube,Jenkins, JMeter, Selenium, SoapUI, etc.
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time
Date Posted: Jul 10, 2019, 12:00:51 PM