American Express Careers
Director - Product Management/Ownership, Risk Platforms
American Express is changing the world at work with innovative solutions that help businesses drive growth. The Risk Center of Excellence organization sits within Global Risk Banking and Compliance (GRBC) is responsible for managing Risk through continuous monitoring, reviews and tests across all Business Units, Product lines and geographies in American Express. As an Innovation organization, the team’s charter is to bring innovative platforms and products to life in the areas of Risk Management and Data Science.
One such innovative platform is Smart Monitoring which is an industry-leading and award winning Risk Intelligence platform that aims to strengthen American Expresses’ control and compliance environment and ensures safety and soundness of our businesses practices. Its patent-pending approach uniquely combines advances in data science and technology (AI, machine learning, cloud computing) to transform risk management. Smart Monitoring is revolutionizing risk and regulatory management across American Express by shifting from periodic, manual monitoring to a program that is real-time, automated and predictive. Unique risks are monitored and predicted by bots called Key Risk Indicators. This approach ensures a strong control and compliance environment and helps prevent financial losses, regulatory fines, and negative brand impact by predicting and preventing issues before they happen.
- Own the Smart Monitoring platform, end-to-end
- Develop and drive vision and product for future platform features and enhancements
- Manage execution by prioritizing and building the feature backlog according to defined metrics including business value, return on investment, and job size
- Understand and apply new trends and competitive best practices into product roadmap and requirements
- Partner with business and risk teams across American Express to understand key risks and convert them to Key Risk Indicators.
- Supervise and provide guidance to a team of risk managers, product managers and data scientists. Liaise closely with the engineering teams for development.
- Identify opportunities to build predictive/machine learning models and lead development of forward-looking metrics
- Experience as a leader with a strong sense of urgency
- A strong natural leadership style that moves people to take action, motivates, and inspires excellence
- Minimum 10 years of overall experience. At least 5 years of product management/ownership experience in a leadership role related to a platform or products at financial services or technology companies. Well-versed with the product management lifecycle from concept to launch and beyond
- Experience working with software engineering teams in a scaled agile setup, with a strong ability to translate product requirements succinctly and ensure technology deliverables are built with high quality.
- Experience in a risk management or related analytical domain
- Experience in data science, machine learning/AI is a plus
- Strong initiative to drive continuous innovation in all areas
- Demonstrated leadership managing multiple direct reports in multiple geographic locations
- Demonstrated ability to achieve results in a matrixed organization structure, interfacing with various business units and staff groups in addition to coordinating the efforts with teams like Software Engineering
- Excellent communication skills and ability to synthesize and articulate complex concepts. Experience in presenting effectively to business partners and senior executives
- Engineering, Business, or Technical degree required; MBA or advanced degree desired; PMP/SAFe POPM certification desired
Why American Express?
There’s a difference between having a job and making a difference.
American Express has been making a difference in people’s lives for over 160 years, backing them in moments big and small, granting access, tools, and resources to take on their biggest challenges and reap the greatest rewards.
We’ve also made a difference in the lives of our people, providing a culture of learning and collaboration, and helping them with what they need to succeed and thrive. We have their backs as they grow their skills, conquer new challenges, or even take time to spend with their family or community. And when they’re ready to take on a new career path, we’re right there with them, giving them the guidance and momentum into the best future they envision.
Because we believe that the best way to back our customers is to back our people.
The powerful backing of American Express.
Don’t make a difference without it.
Don’t live life without it.
Depending on factors such as business unit requirements, the nature of the position, cost and applicable laws, American Express may provide visa sponsorship for certain positions.
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time
Date Posted: Jul 10, 2019, 4:54:45 PM