American Express Careers
Senior Software Engineer
American Express has been making a difference in people’s lives for over 160 years, backing them in moments big and small, granting access, tools, and resources to take on their biggest challenges and reap the greatest rewards.
We’ve also made a difference in the lives of our people, providing a culture of learning and collaboration, and helping them with what they need to succeed and thrive. We have their backs as they grow their skills, conquer new challenges, or even take time to spend with their family or community. And when they’re ready to take on a new career path, we’re right there with them, giving them the guidance and momentum into the best future they envision.
Because we believe that the best way to back our customers is to back our people.
American Express seeks a Software Engineer to develop and test, among others, big data technologies, including ongoing refactoring of code and drive continuous improvement in code structure and quality. The Sr. Engineer will be part of an exciting and fast-paced entrepreneurial team focused on delivering the next generation marketing capabilities, innovative R&D products, lead the tool chain automation for continuous build and deployment as well as data management on Big Data. Function as a core member of an Agile team driving user story analysis and elaboration, design, and development of software applications. Work on specific platforms and products or as part of a dynamic resource pool assigned to projects based on demand and business priority.
- Senior Engineer is responsible for creating the Design, Development and Implementation of customer marketing applications.
- Develop Technical Design documentation, participate in architecture reviews with sr. architects in the organization.
- Leads a data management queue for metadata management, data organization and automated balance, quality and controls.
- Performs hands-on architecture, design, and development of systems owning all technical aspects of the software development.
- Functions as senior member of an agile team and helps drive consistent development practices with respect to tools, common components, and documentation.
- Primary focus is spent writing code, conducting code reviews & testing in ongoing sprints or doing proof of concepts/automation tools, collaborating with stakeholders through ongoing product/platform releases.
- Develops deep understanding of tie-ins with other systems and platforms within the supported domains.
- Performs ongoing refactoring of code, utilizes visualization and other techniques to fast-track concepts, and deliver continuous improvement.
- Identifies opportunities to adopt innovative technologies.
- Provides continuous support for ongoing application availability.
- Works with product owners to prioritize features for ongoing sprints and managing a list of technical requirements based on industry trends, new technologies, known defects, and issues.
- BS or MS degree in computer science, computer engineering, or other technical discipline, or equivalent work experience.
- 6+ years of overall design and development experience
- 4+ years of experience with Big Data & Analytics solutions – Hadoop, MapReduce, Pig, Hive, Spark, etc.
- Demonstrated experience with J2EE frameworks and complex database concepts, including join strategy, performance optimization, and compression, is required.
- Proven hands-on experience with Big Data technology.
- Experience with Database query optimization and indexing.
- Experience with source control and build systems.
- Knowledge of SPARK is a plus (differentiator).
- Looks proactively beyond the obvious for continuous improvement opportunities.
Employment eligibility to work with American Express in the U.S. is required as the company will not pursue visa sponsorship for these positions.
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time
Date Posted: Jul 11, 2019, 10:05:18 AM