American Express Careers
Director, Platform Strategy & Innovation
American Express has been making a difference in people’s lives for over 160 years, backing them in moments big and small, granting access, tools, and resources to take on their biggest challenges and reap the greatest rewards.
We’ve also made a difference in the lives of our people, providing a culture of learning and collaboration, and helping them with what they need to succeed and thrive. We have their backs as they grow their skills, conquer new challenges, or even take time to spend with their family or community. And when they’re ready to take on a new career path, we’re right there with them, giving them the guidance and momentum into the best future they envision.
Because we believe that the best way to back our customers is to back our people.
Are you passionate about creating the world’s best customer experience and winning in the digital economy? Do you want to accelerate our digital transformation by connecting the dots between business strategy, customer journeys, disruptive technologies, capabilities and platforms?
We are a newly formed, highly strategic team with a core objective to drive a cohesive platform strategy to align our capabilities across all company platforms to our 3 to 5-year strategy, emerging & disruptive trends and enterprise business & customer needs. This includes forming recommendations to 1) invest in new strategic and emerging capabilities (including build vs. buy analysis), 2) rationalize redundant capabilities and 3) enhance / mature existing capabilities across all platforms to drive our business model evolution, growth and innovation. The Director will build and lead a multi-dimensional and high performing team that develops and executes thoughtful strategy to enable inspired outcomes.
As the Director, Platform Strategy & Innovation you will:
- Become the expert on how American Express’ enterprise strategy and future state business model is enabled through existing capabilities and emerging / disruptive technologies.
- Build an enterprise, customer-centric capability model connecting the dots between business strategy, customer journeys / value streams, services / APIs and platforms.
- Form impactful and actionable recommendations to drive our business model evolution, growth and innovation though enterprise-wide capability investment, rationalization and enhancement.
- Define the evolving strategy, approach, end to end plan, and resourcing needs over the lifecycle of the initiative.
- Challenge the status quo and solve problems creatively; using your toolbox of techniques such as Design Thinking, scenario modeling, use case development, journey mapping, business capability modeling, etc.
- Manage outcomes by managing the details – sequencing and preparing for meetings and events thoughtfully to drive conclusions efficiently.
- Lead through influence, often without direct authority, persuading with compelling data, facts, and conclusions.
- Collaborate effectively and build key relationships with Business Strategy, Product, Customer Experience, Engineering and Architecture teams.
- Hire, develop, and engage a diverse, high performing and motivated team.
- At least five years’ experience in Product Strategy & Development, Tech Strategy, Digital Transformation, Customer Experience Transformation and/or Business Architecture disciplines.
- Robust consulting, product development and business architecture toolkit that includes customer-centric design and innovation (e.g., Design Thinking), customer journey mapping, business capability modeling, use case development, external benchmarking, and other consulting methodologies.
- Strong knowledge of the payments, commerce, FinTech innovation and disruptive technologies and trends.
- High intellectual curiosity, creativity, complex problem solving and strategic and innovative thought leadership.
- Ability to influence without authority and demonstrated track record for driving results and transformation across multiple lines of business.
- Ability to connect seemingly separate conversations, internal and external data, and primary research to identify opportunities or manage against potential risks or business challenges.
- High comfort level with ambiguity, white space, and evolving priorities.
- Proven record of successfully leading and implementing complex, large-scale, enterprise-wide, cross-functional initiatives to drive transformation at scale.
- Demonstrated ability to build and motivate a diverse team.
- Highly proficient in developing excellent quality presentations and deliverables for an executive audience.
- MBA or equivalent and previous top-tier or Big 4 management consulting experience required.
- American Express is an Equal Opportunity employer.
Employment eligibility to work with American Express in the U.S. is required as the company will not pursue visa sponsorship for these positions.
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time
Date Posted: Jul 12, 2019, 8:19:37 PM