American Express Careers
Servant leadership and mentoring and delivery of product engineering teams,
cultivating continual improvement in processes service quality, and strategic
Responsible for the people leadership of 3 – 4 engineering teams, each with up to
10 engineers and are typically co-located with the teams for which they are
- Ensures their teams successfully develop, deploy, support, and monitor software across various environments
- Delivering software solutions that meet or exceed customer and stakeholder
expectations by fostering and driving innovation and experimentation within
- Able to share technology subject matter expertise with architects and other
engineers across multiple organizations
- Ensure frictionless automated delivery from the teams
- Empower teams to succeed at scale
- Promote, empower, and practice servant leadership
- Cultivate an environment of continuous engineering improvement through
mentoring, feedback, and metrics
- Recruit and cultivate top talent by driving technical and leadership development
- Collaborate with a wide variety to stakeholders within business and technology
teams to drive change required to execute product roadmaps
- Coach, guide, and promote creation of high quality, clearly documented, and
compliant deliverables across engineering teams
- Ensure alignment of strategy, architecture, tools/methods with software
engineers and architects to execute product roadmaps
- Ensures automated CI/CD pipeline and a production environment that scales to meet anticipated demand
- Manage multiple agile software product development teams that realize the
company’s technology vision and strategy in a scalable, iterative environment
- Collaborates with peers and partners to drive software solutions that align to
strategic roadmaps, prioritized initiatives and strategic technology directions,
and contributes to engineering best practices across the company
- Coach, guide and promote the creation of high quality, clearly documented, and compliant software across engineering teams
- Enable integrated teams to deliver software and hardware solutions in support of key product initiatives
- Collaborate within and across business units to design solutions and prioritize, plan, and execute the development schedule
- 6+ years of experience leading Software E.ngineering teams.
- Extensive hands-on experience building and managing the development of complex, large-scale enterprise applications and products that require a deep understanding of application logic and dependencies.
- Proven experience attracting, hiring, retaining and leading top Engineering talent.
- Experience with Scrum, Kanban, or another Agile application development methodology.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Computer Science Engineering, or related experience required; Advanced Degree preferred.
- Anticipates what’s around the corner and pro-actively plans to mitigate those risks.
- Customer Focused – Does what is right for the customer.
- Be a change agent and willing to challenge status quo while helping to drive the necessary changes.
- Introduces new engineering techniques and solutions.
- Drive innovation in processes, software, and open source to meet the needs of the customer.
- Owned accountability for all quality aspects and metrics of product portfolio, including system performance, platform availability, operational efficiency, risk management, information security, data management and cost effectiveness.
- Deep knowledge of front end, Middleware and Backend technologies relevant to your teams domain.
- Ability to build and leverage strong relationships with your team, Business and Technology partners.
- Adaptive Communication.
- Agile Practices.
- Industry and Company Knowledge.
- Organizational Change Management.
- Technical Acumen.
- Technology Industry Trends.
- Collaboration & Teamwork.
- Continuous Improvement.
- Servant Leadership.
- Emerging Technologies
- Programming/Software Development
- System Design
- Business Analysis
- Data Management
- Release and Deployment
- Systems Development Management
- User Experience Evaluation and Analysis
- Analytical Thinking
- Builds High Performing Teams
- Coaching and Mentoring
- Executive Presence
- Influence and Negotiation
- Strategy Formulation
- Business Product Knowledge
- Problem Solving
Employment eligibility to work with American Express in the U.S. is required as the company will not pursue visa sponsorship for these positions.
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time
Date Posted: Aug 8, 2019, 9:53:48 AM