There’s a difference between having a job and making a difference.
American Express has been making a difference in people’s lives for over 160 years, backing them in moments big and small, granting access, tools, and resources to take on their biggest challenges and reap the greatest rewards.
We’ve also made a difference in the lives of our people, providing a culture of learning and collaboration, and helping them with what they need to succeed and thrive. We have their backs as they grow their skills, conquer new challenges, or even take time to spend with their family or community. And when they’re ready to take on a new career path, we’re right there with them, giving them the guidance and momentum into the best future they envision.
Because we believe that the best way to back our customers is to back our people.
The powerful backing of American Express.
American Express is looking for energetic, high-performing and highly skilled Senior Engineers to help shape our technology and product roadmap. You will be part of the fast-paced, entrepreneurial Enterprise Marketing and Information Capability (EMIC) portfolio focused on delivering the next generation global marketing capabilities. This team is responsible for Global Customer Marketing Personalization products which including batch/real-time analytical, machine learning and modeling solutions leveraging transformational technologies, such as Hadoop, Spark, HDFS, MapReduce, Hive, HBase, Pig & Java. This young team has delivered class leading products with many firsts in the organization including the first Member Rewards (MR) Personalization in the enterprise. Today we support 21+ channels and support content across Card, Merchant & MR offers and are expanding rapidly with a focus on building a single Global Customer Marketing Personalization Product with a focus on driving omni-channel experience for our Card members by delivering world-class innovative solutions leveraging best in class Machine Learning techniques, processing TBs of data, to provide highly personalized member journey to drive profitable growth for the organization.
Our Senior Software Engineers not only understand how technology works, but how that technology intersects with the people who count on it every day. Today, innovative ideas, insight and new perspectives are at the core of how we create a more powerful, personal and fulfilling experience for all our customers. Centric to it is Big Data and batch/real-time analytical solutions leveraging transformational technologies (Hadoop, HDFS, MapReduce, Spark, Hive, HBase, Pig, etc.) to deliver innovative solutions across multiple business units (e.g., GIM, EDA, GCP, Loyalty, etc.). So if you’re interested in a career creating breakthrough software and making an impact on an audience of millions, look no further.
Position requires a Bachelor's or higher degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, Engineering, or related field. Candidates with 10+ years of experience in data programming and applications systems design and architecture is preferred.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to -
• Owns all technical aspects of software development for assigned applications. Performs hands-on architecture, design, and development of systems. Functions as senior member of an agile team and helps drive consistent development practices wrt tools, common components, and documentation. Typically spends 80% of time writing code and testing, and remainder of time collaborating with stakeholders through ongoing product/platform releases.
• Develops deep understanding of tie-ins with other Amex systems and platforms within the supported domains. Writes code and unit tests, works on API specs, automation, and conducts code reviews and testing. Performs ongoing refactoring of code, utilizes visualization and other techniques to fast-track concepts, and deliver continuous improvement - Identifies opportunities to adopt innovative technologies. Provides continuous support for ongoing application availability. Works closely with product owners on blueprints and annual planning of feature sets that impact multiple platforms and products. Works with product owners to prioritize features for ongoing sprints and managing a list of technical requirements based on industry trends, new technologies, known defects, and issues.
This high energy Senior Engineer must have:
• A Bachelor’s degree in computer science, computer engineering, other technical discipline, or equivalent work experience.
• 4+ years of software development experience with proven hands-on experience in BigData technologies.
• Familiar with Agile or other rapid application development methods. Experience with design and coding across one or more platforms and languages as appropriate.
• Hands-on expertise with application design, software development and automated testing.
• Ability to effectively interpret technical and business objectives and challenges, and articulate solutions.
• Displays understanding of different Algorithms & Machine Learning techniques and their application in the Customer Marketing domain.
• Ability to think abstractly and deal with ambiguous/under-defined problems. Ability to enable business capabilities through innovation.
• High energy, demonstrated willingness to learn new technologies, and takes pride in how fast they develop working software.
• Experience with distributed (multi-tiered) systems, algorithms, and relational databases.
• Demonstrated experience with object-oriented design and coding with variety of languages.
• Knack to guide/mentor other team members in both technology and domain.
• Strong programming knowledge in Java
• Solid understanding of data structures, Algorithms & Design Patters is required
• Hands-on experience in Big Data technologies (at least MapReduce, Hive and Hbase)
• Understanding and experience with UNIX / Shell / Perl / Python scripting
• Database query optimization and indexing
• Web services design and implementation using REST / SOAP
• Strong analytical ability
• Excellent communication skills
• Object-oriented design and coding
• Machine learning/data mining.
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time
Date Posted: Oct 22, 2019, 4:44:39 AM