American Express Careers
Senior Engineer – Java/Vertx/RestAPI
Why American Express?
There’s a difference between having a job and making a difference.
American Express has been making a difference in people’s lives for over 160 years, backing them in moments big and small, granting access, tools, and resources to take on their biggest challenges and reap the greatest rewards.
We’ve also made a difference in the lives of our people, providing a culture of learning and collaboration, and helping them with what they need to succeed and thrive. We have their backs as they grow their skills, conquer new challenges, or even take time to spend with their family or community. And when they’re ready to take on a new career path, we’re right there with them, giving them the guidance and momentum into the best future they envision.
Because we believe that the best way to back our customers is to back our people.
The powerful backing of American Express.
Don’t make a difference without it.
Don’t live life without it.
American Express Enterprise Cloud platform (eCP) provides comprehensive platform that enables business critical applications to have Faster Time-to-Market for American Express. eCP offers dynamic rapid code-to-development models and services such as Platform-as-a-Service, Infrastructure-as-a-Service, DB-as-a-Service, Analytics-as-a-Service, Messaging-as-a-Service, CICD Pipelines, etc. for application developers in a hybrid cloud environment. eCP enables Application developers to write modern scalable cloud native applications.
American Express is embarking on an exciting Hybrid Cloud transformation journey and is in search of an innovative and critical thinking engineers to build Hybrid Cloud Program. This position will report into the xPaaS Cloud Engineering team.
In this Developer role, you will be responsible for building scalable, secure, and highly available Applications and Services to enable our Hybrid based extended platform-as-a-service (xPaaS) by using a variety of technologies such as Google Cloud Platform/Kubernetes Engine, Openshift ,REST, Vertx, Redis, and Elastic, while gaining experience and getting exposure to many other open source projects as required. As a Senior Cloud Engineer/developer, your primary responsibilities will be to architect, design and develop technical solutions to enhance the American Express Hybrid Cloud platform, with a focus on building automation for highly scalable cloud services delivery. Internal customer consultancy, and Level 3 engineering support for these services make up the additional responsibilities of this role.
· This is a Full Stack Java Developer role with an emphasis on building automation for delivering Cloud services across a Hybrid Cloud environment. The Candidate should have experience on building highly dynamically scalable cloud native applications.
· Deep understanding of Distributed computing components like distributed caching, distributed search , Resource Managers and Job executors , Cluster Managers etc.
· Deep understanding of Cloud Principles and container platforms like Docker, Kubernetes, and Redhat Openshift .
· Hands-on experience of Languages like Java-J2EE, Node.JS and Go-Lang. Good understanding of data structure implementations in different languages .
· Writes and understands application security layers and is able to implement Authorization mechanisms in applications.
· Experience of implementing concurrency patterns and non-blocking Services.
· Experience in building Micro-Services Architecture and messaging and should have deep understanding of Micro-Services principles.
· Must have deep understanding of API components like Circuit Breakers , Service discovery patterns, and horizontally scalable services .
· Must be aware or worked on distributed log analytics like Splunk , ELK .
· Hands-on experience on Linux environments and virtualization/containerized environments and troubleshooting skillset in Linux/Debian environments .
· Hands-on experience on any automation tool-chain like puppet/chef/ansible.
· Hands-on experience on build systems like Maven and CI/CD toolchain.
· Advanced UI development experience with Angular 2.0, React, Gulp is a plus.
Are you up for the challenge?
· Overall 10+ years of Technology industry experience with 5-7 Years of relevant development experience
· Demonstrated professional expertise in a large Fortune 100 company running an IT Production Operation at scale including Infrastructure (Servers, Network, Storage, Security) and Applications (Distributed, Middleware, Databases across all tiers)
· Ability to work with PaaS based Cloud development Platforms, and Cloud technologies and tools for Continuous Delivery (CD)
· Experience working within an Agile managed team for rapid and continuous development of work products
· Highly proficient in Rest API/micro services development with an emphasis on cloud integration and management
· Experienced in Linux functionalities/features and system administration
· Knowledge of virtualization management in OpenStack and RHEV
· Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or equivalent work experience
• Cloud management and administration
• Continuous delivery experience/DevOps/Agile
• Proven diagnostic, troubleshooting, and service restoration skills.
• Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills
• Strong English communication skills with the ability to work with difficult customers in critical outage situations.
• Outstanding written and verbal communication skills.
Employment eligibility to work with American Express in the U.S. is required as the company will not pursue visa sponsorship for these positions.
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time
Date Posted: Jul 24, 2019, 10:51:45 AM