Why American Express
There’s a difference between having a job and making a difference.
American Express has been making a difference in people’s lives for over 160 years, backing them in moments big and small, granting access, tools, and resources to take on their biggest challenges and reap the greatest rewards.
We’ve also made a difference in the lives of our people, providing a culture of learning and collaboration, and helping them with what they need to succeed and thrive. We have their backs as they grow their skills, conquer new challenges, or even take time to spend with their family or community. And when they’re ready to take on a new career path, we’re right there with them, giving them the guidance and momentum into the best future they envision.
Because we believe that the best way to back our customers is to back our people.
The powerful backing of American Express.
Don’t make a difference without it.
Don’t live life without it.
You won’t just shape the world of software.
You’ll shape the world of life, work and play.
American Express is
looking for energetic, high-performing and highly skilled Senior Engineers to
help shape our technology and product roadmap. You will be part of the
fast-paced, entrepreneurial Enterprise Personalization and Digital Demand
Generation portfolio focused on delivering the next generation global
Personalization capabilities (Prospect & Customer Marketing) using cutting
edge Machine Learning Models and Big Data technologies.
This team is responsible for Global Customer Marketing Personalization products which including batch/real-time analytical, machine learning and modeling solutions leveraging technologies such as Hadoop, Spark, HDFS, MapReduce, Hive, HBase, Python, Pig & Java. This young team has delivered industry leading products with many firsts in the organization. Today we support 21+ channels (including Web, Mobile, Voice, Email), daily volume of ~11MM transactions a day and support content across Card, Servicing, Merchant & MR offers and are expanding rapidly with a focus on building a Global Customer Marketing Personalization Product with a focus on driving omni-channel experience for our Card members by delivering world-class innovative solutions leveraging best in class Machine Learning techniques, processing TBs of data, to provide highly personalized member journey to drive profitable growth for the organization.
Our Software Engineers not only understand how technology works, but how that technology intersects with the people who count on it every day. Today, innovative ideas, insight and new perspectives are at the core of how we create a more powerful, personal and fulfilling experience for all our customers. So if you’re interested in a career creating breakthrough software and making an impact on an audience of millions, look no further.
You won’t just keep up, you’ll break new ground.
There are hundreds of opportunities to make your mark on technology and life at American Express. Here’s just some of what you’ll be doing:
- Taking your place as a core member of an agile team driving the latest development practices
- Writing code and unit tests, working with API specs and automation
- Identifying opportunities for adopting new technologies
- Leading a team of engineers that delivers knowledge management solutions to businesses worldwide
Are you up for the challenge?
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Owns all technical aspects of software development for assigned applications
- Performs hands-on architecture, design, and development of Personalization (ML driven) systems supporting multiple business units across Customer & Prospect marketing.
- Functions as Senior engineer of an agile team and helps drive consistent development practices
- Typically spends 80% of time writing code and testing, and remainder of time collaborating with peers, stakeholders through ongoing product/platform releases
- Develops deep understanding of tie-ins with other Amex systems and platforms within the supported domains
- Writes code and unit tests, works on API specs, automation, and conducts code reviews and testing
- Performs ongoing refactoring of code, utilizes visualization and other techniques to fast-track concepts, and deliver continuous improvement - Identifies opportunities to adopt innovative technologies
- Provides continuous support for ongoing application availability
- Works closely with product owners on blueprints and annual planning of feature sets that impact multiple platforms and products
- Works with product owners to prioritize features for ongoing sprints and managing a list of technical requirements based on industry trends, new technologies, known defects, and issues.
This high energy Engineer must have:
- Education- Bachelor or Masters’ Degree in Computer Science or related field
- 12+ years of software development experience with proven hands-on experience in Big Data technologies
- Experience with design and coding across one or more platforms and languages as appropriate
- Hands-on expertise with application design, software development and automated testing
- Ability to effectively interpret technical and business objectives and challenges, and articulate solutions
- Ability to think abstractly and deal with ambiguous/under-defined problems
- Ability to enable business capabilities through innovation
- High energy, demonstrated willingness to learn new technologies, and takes pride in how fast they develop working software and should have a knack to be updated on latest technology trends in the industry.
- Demonstrated experience with object-oriented design and coding with variety of languages
- Knack to guide/mentor other junior team members in both technology and domain.
- Strong programming knowledge in Java/Python
- Experience working on any Hadoop distribution, such as Mapr, Cloudera, Hortonworks and have at least coded in Hive, Pig, Java M/R, Spark for 2 years or more, will be an added advantage.
- Solid understanding of data structures, Algorithms & Design Patters will be an added advantage
- Strong experience with UNIX / Shell / Perl / Python scripting
- Understanding of different Algorithms & Machine Learning techniques (Neural Network, Deep Learning, Supervised & Unsupervised, Regression, Classification) and their application in batch/real-time will be an added advantage
- Familiar with Agile or other rapid application development methods
- Experience in Cloud technologies (Dockerization, etc) , will be an added advantage.
- Strong analytical ability
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent team-player with ability to work with global teams
At the core of Software Engineering
Every member of our team must be able to demonstrate the following technical, functional, leadership and business core competencies, including:
- Agile Practices
- Porting/Software Configuration
- Programming Languages and Frameworks
- Business Analysis
- Analytical Thinking
- Business Product Knowledge
Employment eligibility to work with American Express in the U.S. is required as the company will not pursue visa sponsorship for these positions.
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time
Date Posted: Sep 9, 2019, 2:18:16 PM