American Express Careers
Infrastructure Engineer I
American Express has embarked on an exciting transformation journey to boldly pursue big ideas that power transformation advances for the company. As a Service Assurance and Engineering Team with expertise in groundbreaking technology transformation, we drive service assurance for business critical capabilities. Our engineering team is nimble, creative and empowered to improve customer experiences and services. As a member of our team, you get the best of both worlds by partnering with developers to build state of the art capabilities as well as being able to assure reliable customer experiences. If you’re ready to take on a challenge and make an impact, American Express is a phenomenal place to launch or grow your career.
Role and Responsibilities:
• Contribute to design, implementation and support of new features, system enhancements and bug fixes.
• Implement requirements using best practice coding patterns and techniques, focused on delivering highly testable code and solutions.
• Proactively observe, support and triage operating trends, run-time symptoms and conditions to ensure stability, performance, reliability and availability.
• Release high quality code and infrastructure while maintaining overall platform availability and performance.
• Support platform components and partner integrations to ensure proper end-to-end operation.
• Integrating monitoring tools and other enterprise event sources to the American Express enterprise event ecosystem.
• Use common/popular integrated development environment tools (ex: VisualStudio, JetBrains, Eclipse) to build, test and deploy software
• Utilize common/popular source code repository (ex: TFS/Git/Stash) to manage solutions and projects
• Identify requirements and user stories needed to implement functional and non-functional changes
• Leverage common implementation patterns to solve problems and enable solutions
• Coding, testing, debugging of end-to-end code and solutions including software features, infrastructure and configuration as code and integrations with other platforms
• Leverage automated testing, unit tests, end-to-end functional tests, and code coverage to ensure high code quality
• Implement solutions leveraging modern architecture patterns; micro services, message bus queues/topics, graceful degradation and recovery
• Implement solutions using REST/SOAP API’s and JSON/XML schema to integrate systems and publish and consume data
• Implement support, triage and forensics using application monitoring, logs and events, metrics, baselines, dashboards, alerts, etc.
• Participate in operational readiness activities and cross functional collaboration for end-to-end dependencies and deliverables
• Leverage and integrate code CI/CD pipeline to enable orchestration of builds, testing and deployments
• Deploy code, implement component upgrades, and execute post deployment validations
• Utilize enterprise collaboration tools and platforms such as Jira, Confluence, Slack, etc.
• Collaborate with application, infrastructure and support teams to build and support enterprise solutions.
• Participate in design and implementation of changes, enhancements, bug fixes, new features, etc.
• Partner with development teams and support teams to help enable tool adoption and successful transformation projects
• Position requires a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering or a related Quantitative field.
• 2+ years of experience in implementation and debugging of practical common sense solutions.
• 2+ years of experience with systems analysis/programming, incorporating: design methodology, Infrastructure operations support or engineering
• Hands-on experience with a variety of software languages, operating systems, or network protocols
• Practical application using Agile or other rapid application development methods
• Deliver software features, tech debt and iterative improvements by practicing agile delivery methodologies and sprint ceremonies
• Create and prepare user stories, acceptance criteria and ensure story quality
• Experience or familiar with iterative delivery, minimum viable product (MVP) approach
• Familiar with feature toggles and dynamic configuration to enable safe and measured releases to production
• Apply DevOps support concepts and practices with a focus on stability, performance, reliability, availability, etc.
• Implement application logging, application performance monitoring, metrics, tracing and operational telemetry to enable run-time visibility
• Support, analysis and troubleshooting of distributed systems and solutions leveraging integrations and partners
• Support, analysis and troubleshooting common performance, latency, capacity, connectivity scenarios, symptoms and conditions
• Utilize monitoring tools and platforms such as; Splunk, Elastic, AppDynamics, Dynatrace, Nimsoft, Gomez, Graphite, Grafana, Solarwinds, SCOM, Prometheus, Open Tracing
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time
Date Posted: Jul 24, 2019, 3:20:20 PM