American Express Careers
Why American Express?
American Express has been making a difference in people’s lives for over 160 years, backing them in moments big and small, granting access, tools, and resources to take on their biggest challenges and reap the greatest rewards.
We’ve also made a difference in the lives of our people, providing a culture of learning and collaboration, and helping them with what they need to succeed and thrive. We have their backs as they grow their skills, conquer new challenges, or even take time to spend with their family or community. And when they’re ready to take on a new career path, we’re right there with them, giving them the guidance and momentum into the best future they envision.
Because we believe that the best way to back our customers is to back our people.
You won’t just shape the world of software.
You’ll shape the world of life, work and play.
Our Software Engineers not only understand how technology works, but how that technology intersects with the people who count on it every day. Today, innovative ideas, insight and new perspectives are at the core of how we create a more powerful, personal and fulfilling experience for all our customers. So, if you’re interested in a career creating breakthrough software and making an impact on an audience of millions, look no further.
You won’t just keep up, you’ll break new ground.
There are hundreds of opportunities to make your mark on technology and life at American Express. Here’s just some of what you’ll be doing:
- Taking your place as a core member of an agile team driving the latest development practices
- Writing code and unit tests, working with API specs and automation
- Identifying opportunities for adopting new technologies
- Developing microservices using Java and deploying them on enterprise cloud
- Troubleshooting issues and working with product support teams to resolve problems and perform root cause analysis
- Mentoring junior engineering staff
- Working closely with Product Owners in researching and prototyping new capabilities that improve the overall user experience
Are you up for the challenge?
Do you like coding in Java and have a passion for developing easy to consume and ridiculously fast API's? This job is for you.
- Preferably a BS or MS degree in computer science, computer engineering, or other technical discipline
- 5+ years of software development experience using Java
- Strong hands-on experience in Database concepts, design and leveraging them in application programming, SQL
- Experience in Big Data technologies is a big plus
- Ability to effectively interpret technical and business objectives and challenges and articulate solutions
- Willingness to learn new technologies and exploit them to their optimal potential
At the core of Software Engineering
The ideal candidate will have a very strong hands-on backend development experience using technologies such as: Java, SQL & NOSQL databases, Messaging infrastructure (kafka etc).
- Agile Practices
- Programming Languages and Frameworks
- Business Analysis
- Analytical Thinking
- Highly focused, organized, and detail oriented
- Strong technical aptitude with an intense desire to learn new skills and industry trends
- Strong leadership skills & ability to collaborate across development portfolios to drive results
- Demonstrated experience using CI/CD tools such as Jenkins, XLR, Sonar, Selenium, Chef etc.
- Business Product Knowledge
- Demonstrated experience in leveraging open source tools and adapting to common frameworks
Employment eligibility to work with American Express in the U.S. is required as the company will not pursue visa sponsorship for these positions.
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time
Date Posted: Jul 31, 2019, 3:52:28 PM