American Express Careers
Director - Strategic Planning
The Strategic Planning Group (SPG) is the Company’s internal consulting division and was formed in 1977 as the Office of Strategic Development. The group was created as an incubator for strategy and as an internal management consulting resource. Today, the group consists of approximately 40 professionals across London and New York, serving all business units globally.
SPG serves as partners to key leaders and the executive team within American Express, working on the most critical strategic initiatives and pressing challenges facing the company, and is often at the forefront of new innovations.
SPG is also known as a key external talent pipeline for future leaders at American Express. Individuals within the group transition to take on key leadership roles across various business units, armed with the breadth of experience, exposure to senior management and leadership skills developed during their time with SPG.
The Director of Strategy will join as a member of The Strategic Planning Group (“SPG”). SPG serves as an advisor to the Enterprise leadership – the CEO, business unit and functional group senior leaders on matters related to Payments. The team’s role includes framing and analyzing complex business problems, developing recommendations through the use of American Express’ Strategy Process, partnering with leadership to drive execution, facilitating governance and communication processes, and playing a key role in informing and influencing decision-making.
S/he will help define & articulate corporate and business strategy via various project engagements across global business units.
The Director of Strategy will work both autonomously and in collaboration with strategy development, strategic analysis, market research, business development and other disciplines to enhance American Express’s payments industry leadership position. S/he will also be expected to lead various project teams, mentor other team members and be a key contributor to building a successful and sustainable practice that is seen as true thought partners to the Enterprise and individual business units.
The ideal candidate will have an appropriate blend of progressively responsible business and consulting experience, with a demonstrated track record of results with 10+ years of consulting, corporate strategy and/or relevant experience. With 4+ years of project management experience, this executive will have worked with large corporations in a highly-transactional business; financial services would be a plus.
- Creative strategic thinker complemented by sufficient business acumen, in order to advise and influence the most senior executives of a Fortune 100 company.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, are essential to ensure the success of this candidate. He/she will possess exceptional executive presence.
- Expertise in leading, influencing and building relationships across the organization at all levels is critical, particularly with senior business leaders and line executives.
- Exceptional problem solving skills (issue identification, problem structuring, analysis, development of actionable recommendations) in management consulting, as well as experience in leading implementation of recommendations.
- Strong understanding of and experience in driving change in large organizations.
- Ability and passion for leading, motivating, developing and coaching project teams as well as larger groups.
- An action oriented team player who is passionate, driven and has defined leadership qualities
- SPG is a talent engine for the company, the leader of which will create and develop exceptional individuals, who pull together and enjoy the process of attaining great results.
- Must understand the complexities of managing in a global matrixed organization.
- Sets extremely high standards for self and team. Enjoys the process of developing and nurturing talent.
- Strategic framing and communication, needs to be a strategist as well as an operator.
Intellectual Capacity/Business Knowledge
- Strategic and conceptual thinking skills.
- Strong organizational and analytical skills.
- First-rate strategic perception must be complemented by the problem solving skills necessary to drive tactical implementation.
- Able to spot trends, respond to competitive threats, and exploit strengths.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Excellent interpersonal skills will be needed in order to build the strong relationships that will be critical to the success of this role.
- Will be capable of conveying complex concepts in simple terms and of tailoring their presentation style to suit their audience.
- Must be able to work effectively at all levels. Will have the gravitas, charisma and knowledge to be credible in all business situations.
- Strong stature and presence. Must be highly credible both internally and with business partners.
Motivation / Cultural Fit
- Capable of establishing new standards of performance by leading through example.
- Will bring a global perspective, ideally having lived or worked in multiple regions, with an understanding of large global organizations.
- Passionate individual able to demonstrate flexibility, quick on feet, strong, emotionally resilient.
- Self-aware, provided with certain sensitivity for situations and people, entrepreneurial spirit, but at the same time intolerant of complacency and mediocrity.
- Open, flexible, willing to learn. Thrives in a demanding and sometimes ambiguous environment.
- Highly self-motivated and objective driven.
- A pragmatic approach and the ability to thrive under pressure.
- Strongly performance orientated, will embrace autonomy and accountability for results.
Why American Express?
There’s a difference between having a job and making a difference.
American Express has been making a difference in people’s lives for over 160 years, backing them in moments big and small, granting access, tools, and resources to take on their biggest challenges and reap the greatest rewards.
We’ve also made a difference in the lives of our people, providing a culture of learning and collaboration, and helping them with what they need to succeed and thrive. We have their backs as they grow their skills, conquer new challenges, or even take time to spend with their family or community. And when they’re ready to take on a new career path, we’re right there with them, giving them the guidance and momentum into the best future they envision.
Because we believe that the best way to back our customers is to back our people.
The powerful backing of American Express.
Don’t make a difference without it.
Don’t live life without it.
Depending on factors such as business unit requirements, the nature of the position, cost and applicable laws, American Express may provide visa sponsorship for certain positions.
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time
Date Posted: Aug 15, 2019, 12:11:42 PM