American Express Careers
Senior Software Engineer - Java, Hadoop, Hive, MapR, Spark
Why American Express?
There’s a difference between having a job and making a difference.
American Express has been making a difference in people’s lives for over 160 years, backing them in moments big and small, granting access, tools, and resources to take on their biggest challenges and reap the greatest rewards.
We’ve also made a difference in the lives of our people, providing a culture of learning and collaboration, and helping them with what they need to succeed and thrive. We have their backs as they grow their skills, conquer new challenges, or even take time to spend with their family or community. And when they’re ready to take on a new career path, we’re right there with them, giving them the guidance and momentum into the best future they envision.
Because we believe that the best way to back our customers is to back our people.
The powerful backing of American Express.
Don’t make a difference without it.
Don’t live life without it.
American Express is looking for energetic, high-performing and highly skilled Engineers to help shape our technology and product roadmap. You will be part of the fast-paced, entrepreneurial Enterprise focused on delivering the next generation data engineering solutions. The team will be responsible for experience for our Card members by delivering world-class innovative solutions leveraging best in class Machine Learning techniques, processing TBs of data, to provide highly personalized card member experience and to drive profitable growth for the organization.
Our Software Engineers not only understand how technology works, but how that technology intersects with the people who count on it every day. Today, innovative ideas, insight and new perspectives are at the core of how we create a more powerful, personal and fulfilling experience for all our customers. Centric to it is Big Data and batch/real-time analytical solutions leveraging transformational technologies to deliver innovative solutions across multiple business units.
· Perform technical aspects of software development for assigned applications including design, developing prototypes, and coding assignments
· Perform hands-on architecture, design, and development of systems
· Drive consistent development practices with respect to tools, common components, and documentation
· Spend 80% of time writing code and testing, and remainder of time collaborating with stakeholders through ongoing product/platform releases
· Develop deep understanding of tie-ins with other Amex systems and platforms within the supported domains
· Function as a leader on an agile team by contributing to software builds through consistent development practices (tools, common components, and documentation)
· Lead code reviews and automated testing
· Perform ongoing refactoring of code, utilize visualization and other techniques to fast-track concepts, and deliver continuous improvement
· Identify opportunities to adopt innovative technologies
· Provide continuous support for ongoing application availability
· Work closely with product owners on blueprints and annual planning of feature sets that impact multiple platforms and products
· Work with product owners to prioritize features for ongoing sprints and managing a list of technical requirements based on industry trends, new technologies, known defects, and issues
· Enable business capabilities through innovation
· Research and learn new and upcoming technologies, and apply them to develop working software
· Mentor other team members in both technology and domain
· Debug software components and identify code defects for remediation
· Leads the deployment, support, and monitoring of software across test, integration, and production environments.
· Empower teams to automate deployments in test or production environments.
· Empower teams to automatically scale applications based on demand projections
· Influence team members with innovative changes and improvements by challenging status quo and demonstrating risk taking
· Demonstrate increased self-reliance to achieve team goals
Influence team members with innovative changes and improvements by challenging status quo and demonstrating risk taking.
This role may be subject to additional background verification checks.
Bachelors/Master’s Degree from premier institute.
8+ years of software development experience with proven hands-on experience in -
· Big data technologies combination Hadoop, Hive, Hbase, Map reduce, HD Insights OR Spark Structure Streaming with Java, Hbase, and Kafka.
· Programming with object-oriented design and coding with core Java and spring framework.
· Data structure, & Design patterns
Critical Factors to Success (Outcome Driven)
· Personalized user experience
· Design and deliver innovative big data solutions across multiple business units
· Identify and adopt new technologies to enhance user experience and predict future challenges
· Put enterprise thinking first, connect the role’s agenda to enterprise priorities and balance the needs of customers, partners, colleagues & shareholders.
· Lead with an external perspective, challenge status quo and bring continuous innovation to our existing offerings
· Demonstrate learning agility, make decisions quickly and with the highest level of integrity
· Lead with a digital mindset and deliver the world’s best customer experiences every day
• Familiarity with design & coding across multiple platforms & languages
• Strong analytical & strategic thinking skills
• Ability to interpret technical /business objectives and challenges
• Porting/Software Configuration
• Agile Methodologies
Software development/ testing
• Product Engineering Knowledge
• Platform engineering knowledge (e.g. Financial Tech/Ecommerce/ Aggregator platforms)
• Experience in Big technologies with following combinations Hadoop, HDFS, Hbase, oozie, MapReduce, hive, HD Insights OR Spark Structure Streaming with Java, Hbase, and Kafka.
• Experience with object-oriented design and coding with core Java and spring framework.
• Proficiency on Linux.
• Understanding and experience with UNIX / Shell scripting
• Proficiency on REST.
• RDBMS skills – SQL, Hive, optimization techniques, etc.
• Hive, Java, M/R, and Spark Structure Streaming with Java.
• Understanding of data structures, algorithms & Design Patterns
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time
Date Posted: Aug 15, 2019, 7:28:44 AM