American Express Careers
Senior Java Backend Engineer and Tech/Team Leader - Amex Labs Rapid Prototyping
Why American Express?
There’s a difference between having a job and making a difference.
American Express has been making a difference in people’s lives for over 160 years, backing them in moments big and small, granting access, tools, and resources to take on their biggest challenges and reap the greatest rewards.
We’ve also made a difference in the lives of our people, providing a culture of learning and collaboration, and helping them with what they need to succeed and thrive. We have their backs as they grow their skills, conquer new challenges, or even take time to spend with their family or community. And when they’re ready to take on a new career path, we’re right there with them, giving them the guidance and momentum into the best future they envision.
Because we believe that the best way to back our customers is to back our people.
The powerful backing of American Express.
Don’t make a difference without it.
Don’t live life without it.
You won’t just shape the world of software.
You’ll shape the world of life, work and play.
Our Software Engineers not only understand how technology works, but how that technology intersects with the people who count on it every day. Today, innovative ideas, insight and new perspectives are at the core of how we create a more powerful, personal and fulfilling experience for all our customers. So if you’re interested in a career creating breakthrough software and making an impact on an audience of millions, look no further.
We’re looking for an experienced Java Backend Engineer and technical team leader to join a top talent team working on new experimental products that may be serving tens of millions of customers around the world. Someone who is passionate about shaping the future of commerce, travel, servicing and marketing; Someone who is obsessive about good design and great code; Someone who can find elegant solutions to hard technical and functional challenges and can work well within and across teams with other bright minds such as himself.
You won’t just keep up, you’ll break new ground.
- Serve as a member of an agile development team that drives user story analysis and elaboration
- Designs and develops software solutions
- Foster the spirit of collaboration across multiple internal teams
- Participate in code reviews, ad-hoc pair programming; contribute to iterative improvement of tools, automation and practices used by team
- Mentor and supervise team members
Are you up for the challenge?
- 5+ Years of experience with Java backend (J2EE)
- A BS or MS degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or similar discipline, or equivalent work experience
- REST API design and implementation
- SOA, Micro-Services, Containers
- Reactive Programing (asynchronous programming paradigm) - Vertx, RxJava
- Stream processing/Queue - Solace, Kafka
- Database - Couchbase
- Tools - Git, Jenkins, IntelliJ IDEA, Jira, Confluence
- Familiarity with security principles, SSL, Cryptography
- Experience building and supporting distributed highly available systems
- Good communication skills
- Ability to think abstractly and deal with ambiguous/under-defined problems
- High energy and ‘can-do’ attitude
- Interest in new technologies and tools, industry best practices
- Passion for shipping quality software fast and frequently
- Attention to detail
Every member of our team must be able to demonstrate the following technical, functional, leadership and business core competencies, including:
- Agile Practices
- Porting/Software Configuration
- Programming Languages and Frameworks
- Business Analysis
- Analytical Thinking
- Business Product Knowledge
Employment eligibility to work with American Express in the U.S. is required as the company will not pursue visa sponsorship for these positions.
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time
Date Posted: Aug 7, 2019, 9:16:27 PM