American Express Careers
Engineering Director, Digital Acquisition Platform Excellence
Why American Express
There’s a difference between having a job and making a difference.
American Express has been making a difference in people’s lives for over 160 years, backing them in moments big and small, granting access, tools, and resources to take on their biggest challenges and reap the greatest rewards.
We’ve also made a difference in the lives of our people, providing a culture of learning and collaboration, and helping them with what they need to succeed and thrive. We have their backs as they grow their skills, conquer new challenges, or even take time to spend with their family or community. And when they’re ready to take on a new career path, we’re right there with them, giving them the guidance and momentum into the best future they envision.
Because we believe that the best way to back our customers is to back our people.
The powerful backing of American Express.
Don’t make a difference without it.
Don’t live life without it.
The Digital Acquisition Platform Excellence organization at American Express enables our colleagues and partners to build customer acquisition experiences using our technology platform. We are looking for a highly experienced engineering leader to own a varied portfolio of software systems supporting the submission and decisioning of applications for our financial products and the delivery of marketing campaigns on mobile and web channels.
In this role, you will be responsible for people, process and technology leadership for 3-4 teams of up to 10 members each, most in our New York City and Phoenix offices and some virtual. Working onsite in our global headquarters in NYC, you will lead the delivery and operation of software solutions in the context of multiple scaled Agile portfolios. Your technical acumen will give you the credibility to weigh in on questions of architecture and design, and your servant leadership will enable the growth and development of your team members.
On any given day, you might:
- Define annual or quarterly objectives and key results for your team
- Develop a strategy to achieve a technical objective and fill a roadmap with epics showing how you'll execute the strategy
- Write a white paper describing the vision for a major architectural change and socialize it with partners across business units and centers of excellence
- Collaborate with product partners to prioritize growth, transformation and sustaining engineering activities
- Lead a big room planning exercise so that your team can identify the next most important features to implement
- Facilitate a detailed solution design conversation, contributing ideas and breaking ties when needed
- Engage in 1-on-1 conversation with a team member to provide coaching and career development planning
- Build a hiring plan to grow your team and ensure the optimal mix of skills and experience
Requirements for this position:
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, computer engineering or a related field, or equivalent experience; advanced degree preferred
- 6+ years of experience leading software engineering teams
- Extensive hands-on experience building and being responsible for the development of complex, large-scale enterprise applications that require a deep understanding of application logic and dependencies
- Deep knowledge of modern web application architecture - browser-based applications, reactive systems, storage options
- Proven experience attracting, hiring, retaining and leading top engineering talent
- Experience with Scrum, Kanban or another Agile application development methodology
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills, with the ability to author and deliver effective presentations to senior technology and business leaders
Also critical to your success:
- Simultaneous contribution to multiple work streams including planning, logistics, communication, and follow-up across a diverse team
- Relentless drive to innovate in process and software to better meet the needs of our customers
- Ability to build and leverage positive relationships with team, business and technology partners
- Experience working in a distributed team model and collaborating with remote team members
- Appetite for taking risks and motivating change in a large and sometimes slow-moving organization
- Staying up to date on technology trends and cascading to your team
- Experience working in a Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe) portfolio
- Experience in a fast-paced startup environment
- Demonstrated public speaking and/or technical publishing experience
- Significant industry community involvement
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time
Date Posted: Aug 6, 2019, 2:18:24 PM