American Express Careers
The Decision Support Center of Excellence (DSCOE) in Corporate Planning was established to centralize financial planning and analysis activities across American Express. The Global Commercial Services (GCS) Decision Support Center of Excellence team is primarily responsible for Planning and Results activities for Spend, Lending and Account metrics and associated key revenue lines.
The Spend Manager role will support a variety of critical financial projects in support of the Global Commercial Services organization. The incumbent will have primary responsibility for developing customer and client spend models, providing insightful analytics on business performance to drive profitable growth, estimating spend driven P&L lines and margins as well as being the subject matter expert on spend forecasting for GCS Finance. He/She will provide support to the GCS Business Group and Investor Relations as needed. This position reports to the Spend and Lend Director and is responsible for managing an Analyst.
This is an excellent opportunity for an individual to gain deep knowledge of the Card Issuing business, gain exposure to and insight from leadership and grow as a people leader. The successful candidate will have a strategic and analytical mindset, is comfortable collaborating with internal customers, can work closely with leaders and has the aptitude to drive change.
Moreover, the Manager in this role will have the opportunity to build relationships across the planning communities globally, and gain exposure to senior Finance leaders as part of their overall responsibilities.
- Forecast customer and client spend behaviors with associated P&L lines as well as conducting strategic analysis on spend drivers for the month-end results and in the Risk and Opportunities process
- Produce spend based insights that will support decision-making by senior leaders on business initiatives designed to shape the future direction of the company
- Partner with the LFO team on investigation of spend related P&L variances to ensure accurate understanding of results and inclusion of findings in GCS Risk and Opportunities.
- Develop expertise of client/card member and portfolio behaviors at the aggregate and vintage levels
- Support month-end close and Risk and Opportunities process for Spend
- Drive consensus with other Finance teams, and represent to GCS Finance and other AXP Business Units
- Partner with Finance Transformation team to standardize forecasting methodologies across Business Units as well as test new systems and processes.
- Work closely with Investor Relations, Membership Rewards Finance, GCS Marketing and GCS LFO organization
- Lead an Analyst owning the Spend modeling infrastructure and other tools
- Excellent analytical and quantitative skills
- Strong Excel and PowerPoint skills required; SQL skills preferred
- Ability to manage detailed financial models
- Strong ability for data manipulation and structure analyses
- Strong team player with an ability to deliver in a cross-functional environment
- Strong communication and relationship building skills
- 3-5 years of experience
Knowledge & Skills Required
- Results Leadership: Ability to manage multiple and complex workstreams and work across boundaries and deliver a diverse set of initiatives that result in transformational outcomes. Skilled in the use and applications of American Express systems and processes
- Change Leadership: Continuously seek process improvement and play a lead role in driving change in the organization each and every day
- Strategic Thinking: Solid ability to adopt a broad perspective and link business strategies to specific initiatives. Possess a strong grasp of the competitive landscape and market trends
- Analytical Thinking: Strong aptitude for analytics. Demonstrated ability to develop sophisticated financial models and draw value-add insights from large amounts of financial data. Intellectually curious.
- Communication: Superior ability to communicate with and influence at all levels of the organization
Strong work ethic with an intense will-to-win and demonstrated personal excellence
Employment eligibility to work with American Express in the U.S. is required as the company will not pursue visa sponsorship for these positions.
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time
Date Posted: Aug 13, 2019, 5:22:50 AM