Director, Strategic Initiatives
The Strategy, Planning and Insights (SP&I) team is part of the Global Strategy & Capabilities (GS&C) group within Global Merchant & Network Services (GMNS). The team is responsible for identifying, leading, and supporting transformational initiatives that are tangible and sustainable across GMNS globally by partnering closely with business leaders across the organization. In addition, the SP&I team proactively supports GMNS through advanced analytics and insights with an eye towards improved business performance and growth.
The Strategic Initiatives Team sits within SP&I and is responsible for conducting research and analysis to answer key business questions for driving thought leadership for GMNS priority opportunities. The Director is responsible for planning, leading, and executing across a range of projects impacting the merchant organization that bridge thoughtful strategy, detailed planning, and disciplined execution. This role will require effective collaboration with Senior Leaders and Business Partners across the merchant organization.
- Provide thought leadership on recommendations to move GMNS forward, including impact to value prop, merchant satisfaction, P&L, operations, processes, org design, etc.
- Manage consultative engagements by structuring complex issues into phased workstreams and deliverables
- Synthesize complex insights from multiple sources and utilize strategic frameworks and key insights to logically and concisely present information
- Lead, build and leverage strong relationships with key stakeholders, both within AXP and external. Provide exceptional leadership of cross functional teams.
- Analyze data from internal sources (stakeholder interviews, merchant feedback, data analytics, process maps, etc.) to draw insights and recommendations.
- Develop point of view of external landscape (research, data, industry benchmarks etc.) to develop a robust view of payments and acquiring business, including key players, offerings, and trends in merchant services, sales, portfolio management, payments, fintech, etc.
- Build credibility and influence senior leadership on analyses and recommendations.
- Lead, manage and develop
a high performing team of B35s and B30s.
- Ability to navigate successfully through ambiguity to create structure, ask the right questions and advise on project direction and recommendations.
- Strong self-starter with a high level of intellectual curiosity and the ability to identify and act quickly on opportunities and solve problems and to proactively look and think ahead to go beyond the obvious project needs.
- Excellent project management skills with sense of urgency for driving projects/results forward.
- Effective communication skills, both written and oral, with strong executive presence.
- Demonstrated background in strategic analysis and planning.
- Proven ability to influence without authority across all levels.
- Strong attention to detail and ability to organize and synthesize a broad set of information.
- 7+ years management consulting experience or equivalent.
- 3+ years of people leadership experience and proven ability to lead and motivate a team
Knowledge of Merchant and Network organization and/or external knowledge of payments
MBA or equivalent.
Employment eligibility to work with American Express in the U.S. is required as the company will not pursue visa sponsorship for these positions.
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time
Date Posted: Nov 1, 2019, 4:04:39 PM