This position is within Model Risk Management Group (MRMG) in Global Risk, Banking, and Compliance (GRBC) unit at American Express. It is a people-leader role overseeing a team of data scientists responsible for model risk management of the company's most critical models including credit risk, fraud risk, and credit line assignment models. The position requires a solid understanding of fundamentals of modeling and model risk management, and a dual responsibility of managing the team and engaging in hands-on modeling analytics as needed.
The job has the following key responsibilities for the team:
- Conduct independent review of new models and model changes including conceptual soundness and performance evaluation
- Evaluate model performance and appropriateness on an ongoing basis as part of ongoing monitoring
- Design and improve key model risk management programs and processes
- Support regulatory exams and audit processes
- Conduct modeling analytics and topic research for effective model risk management
- Oversee and manage quality of the team's work products
- Report key outcomes of model risk management activities to senior management
- Proven leadership and team management skills to build a winning team and drive results
- A solid understanding of modeling and model risk management, preferably with 2+ years of relevant experience
- Ability to identify and evaluate key analytical issues and conceptualize complex, abstract ideas into solid, tangible representations through reasoning, mathematics and statistics
- Solid possession of at least one of the following programming skills: SAS, SQL, Python, Java, C++
- Strong communication and writing skills; ability to explain complex model-related topics to partners and stakeholders who may not have a quantitative background
- Flexibility and a strong sense of discipline and responsibility to work with tight deadlines and changing priorities
- Ability to build and manage sound working relationships internally and externally
- Knowledge of the following a plus: common machine learning algorithms e.g., (gradient boosting, neural network), banking and retail lending business, model building process and system implementation
- Advanced degree in statistics, decision science, or a closely related field preferred
Why American Express?
There’s a difference between having a job and making a difference.
American Express has been making a difference in people’s lives for over 160 years, backing them in moments big and small, granting access, tools, and resources to take on their biggest challenges and reap the greatest rewards.
We’ve also made a difference in the lives of our people, providing a culture of learning and collaboration, and helping them with what they need to succeed and thrive. We have their backs as they grow their skills, conquer new challenges, or even take time to spend with their family or community. And when they’re ready to take on a new career path, we’re right there with them, giving them the guidance and momentum into the best future they envision.
Because we believe that the best way to back our customers is to back our people.
The powerful backing of American Express.
Don’t make a difference without it.
Don’t live life without it.
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time
Date Posted: Sep 3, 2019, 2:24:28 PM