American Express Careers
Director, Customer Engagement
American Express Global Commercial Services (GCS) is dedicated exclusively to the success of businesses around the globe, both big and small. Our objective is to become the leading payments and working capital provider for our Small and Medium Enterprise (SME) customers globally.
Within Global Commercial Card Lending, our team currently owns all US proprietary (non-cobranded) credit cards, our pay over time feature available for all US charge cards, and its holistic value propositions / customer experiences focused on the SME segment. We have embarked on an ambitious growth plan to replicate this strategy globally with customization for the local markets.
We are seeking a Director of Customer Engagement for International Card Lending, to lead a team responsible for partnering, developing and executing on high return organic growth lending strategies to drive engagement from existing lending customers across SME internationally. This net new team will be a center of excellence to ensure that we are meeting launch expectations for new lending products after 6+ months of tenure. This is a unique opportunity to build this team from the ground up with two direct reports and accelerate our culture of international lending excellence. The Director will report into the VP of International Commercial Card Lending Products. This is an exciting growth area for American Express and will enable excellent visibility to Senior Leadership.
This team will work closely with the local product management, risk management, finance, marketing, GCO, Compliance and technology teams to identify organic lending opportunities, develop multi-market line and price treatments, and understand lend attrition. All of this is done with a consistent focus on understanding customer needs and balancing portfolio economics and risk for both top and bottom-line objectives.
Grow International Card Billings and A/R at the right margins through strategic management of product P&Ls.
Understand treatment effectiveness and overall profitability of new and existing strategies and make enhancements as needed
Develop new and innovative growth strategies that champion customer needs and are informed by analysis that leverage customer behaviors, financial inputs and external data
Research, analyze and champion existing customer evolving financing needs with a focus on the Small Business Owner in key international markets.
Collaborate with the local market teams to flawlessly execute on organic lend growth strategies
Hire and lead a team of 2 high performers to partner, develop and execute on yield management strategies for existing lending customers across card portfolios.
Share best practices and lessons learned across markets and business units with key stakeholders and partners
Maintain an understanding of the current and future state of competition and regulation across markets to anticipate, identify and act upon key opportunities and threats in a timely fashion.
Partner closely with and influence key functional and execution teams, including Finance, Risk, Marketing, Technologies, GCO, Compliance, Enterprise Digital and Operations.
- 5+ years Product Management, Risk Management, Marketing and/or Lending experience.
- Strong relationship management skills across a diverse network, including collaborating with and influencing partners and leadership both in-person and virtually.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and executive presence, including the ability to present to and work with senior leaders with poise and confidence.
- Strong customer-centric mentality and customer-first approach with ability to assess and understand customer needs and ensure incorporation in strategies
- Strong analytical skills with expertise in lending economics and risk management highly preferred.
- Prior international experience is preferred.
- Proven track record of driving results and measurable outcomes across multiple projects in a highly matrixed organization, including ability to anticipate and mitigate issues.
- History of strong people leadership, effectively managing, engaging and developing talent.
- Winning attitude that motivates and develops direct reports
- Demonstrates a growth mindset that embraces change and is adaptable to a dynamic, fast-paced environment.
- Proven ability to take calculated risks, think boldly, challenge the status quo and drive true innovation.
- Depending on factors such as business unit requirements, the nature of the position, cost and applicable laws, American Express may provide visa sponsorship for certain positions
- NY-based position requiring up to 10% of the time traveling internationally
Educational requirement: Bachelor degree in business management, engineering, finance, or accounting with MBA or applicable Master’s Degree preferred
Employment eligibility to work with American Express in the U.S. is required as the company will not pursue visa sponsorship for these positions.
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time
Date Posted: Sep 3, 2019, 2:18:44 PM