American Express Careers
There’s a difference between having a job and making a difference.
American Express has been making a difference in people’s lives for over 160 years,
backing them in moments big and small, granting access, tools, and resources to take on their biggest challenges and reap the greatest rewards.We’ve also made a difference in the lives of our people, providing a culture of learning and collaboration, and helping them with what they need to succeed and thrive. We have their backs as they grow their skills, conquer new challenges, or even take time to
spend with their family or community. And when they’re ready to take on a new career path, we’re right there with them, giving them the guidance and momentum into the best future they envision.
Because we believe that the best way to back our customers is to back our people.
The powerful backing of American Express.
Don’t make a difference without it.
Don’t live life without it
Do you have the ability to put together unique cutting-edge customer facing solutions that increase business value and customer engagement by leveraging sound design principles and that are data driven? Do you have a unique combination of deep technical knowledge, business acumen and strong interpersonal skills to help influence and drive results across a diverse organization?
American Express is embarking on an exciting digital transformation driven by an energetic team of high performers. This group is nimble and creative with the power to shape our Technology and Product roadmap. If you have the talent and desire to deliver innovative products and services at a rapid pace, serving our customers seamlessly across the globe through various channels, join our team!
We are looking for a great solutions architect who is responsible for providing groundbreaking architectural solutions and design support across multiple technology platforms, providing consultation by using business and technical knowledge to support business strategies and deliver business outcomes. Your primary focus will be on working with fellow solution architects, enterprise architects and platform owners to ensure strategic alignment to platform and product roadmaps and enterprise standards.
Responsibilities include, but not limited to:
- Serving as a core member of a solution architecture team, responsible for providing groundbreaking solutions to multiple product lines with American Express Digital Acquisition platform.
- Performs hands-on solution architecture design work and actively participates in design and code reviews to ensure both delivery of desired business outcomes and alignment to enterprise standards
- Interacts with solution managers, business partners and product engineering teams to share and direct architecture practices that may affect business solution delivery.
- Design and build integration components and interfaces in collaboration with Senior Engineers, Technical Architects and Infrastructure Engineers as necessary.
- Identifies technical solutions and business process improvements in support of the business and IT strategic direction
- Provides architectural governance, reviewing projects to ensure alignment to architectural and technical strategy
- Demonstrate a passion for continuous learning and willingness to adopt new technologies.
- Finds opportunities to embrace innovative technologies
- Ensures Technology Platform solutions are aligned with the corresponding Platform Blueprint and Company Platform roadmaps
- Provides input and functional direction to the Technology Platform’s API strategy and implementation roadmap
- Responsible for coaching and mentoring engineering resources on solution architecture, providing advice, mentorship and assistance to less experienced colleagues as required
- Developing deep understanding of integrations with other systems and platforms within the supported domains
- Strong business insight with the ability to identify key issues and their impact in a broad business context
- 4-5 years of hands-on programming experience meaningful to the assigned Technology Platform in a professional environment and/or comparable experience such as: Advanced hands-on experience with application solution architecture design and end-to-end software development of complex distributed (multi-tiered) systems
- Prior experience in multiple IT disciplines with a confirmed understanding of architectural concepts (business, data, technical and solution) and track record of implementation
- Extensive experience using a systems analysis and design methodology that is applicable to an agile product environment
- Bachelor’s Degree in computer science, engineering, information systems or related field required; advanced degree preferred
- Advanced to authoritative level knowledge and understanding of solution architecture, complex application systems design and platform integration via modern approaches (like RESTful APIs, Event Driven Architecture etc)
- Proven understanding of relevant supporting architecture domains required to align and deliver solutions (business, information, application, technical, etc.)
- Ability to perform system design reviews to ensure selection of appropriate technology, efficient use of resources, and alignment to strategic platform roadmaps
- Channel-specific solution architecture skills as required by the assigned platform, such as web, mobile
- Advanced skills with Open Source components, frameworks and complex systems integration – React JS, Node JS, Vert.x, Spring boot
- Full understanding of Service Oriented Architecture design principles, execution patterns and performance optimization techniques
- Able to participate in the prevention, diagnosis, and resolution of system outages as a leader in the underlying architecture
- Experienced level understanding of Agile, SAFE Agile practices
- Deep business capability domain knowledge relative to the assigned portfolio
- Able to acquire results with an emphasis on reducing cycle time and growing the speed to market of new products
- Excellent interpersonal skills (verbal and written), as well as effective consultative and influential leadership skills
- Well versed in current industry best practices regarding solution delivery disciplines
Eligibility to work in the US for American Express is required as the company will not be pursuing visa sponsorship for these positions
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time
Date Posted: Sep 4, 2019, 2:34:34 PM