The Enterprise Digital & Analytics (EDA) team is passionate about creating a better journey for every user from beginning to end – and we're continually evolving our User Experience (UX) practice to meet our Card Members’ changing digital needs.
Within EDA, the User Experience Design and Research (UXDR) team is looking for a Director of UX Research & Insights. Reporting to the VP of Design & Research, you’ll be responsible for leading a multi-disciplinary team across three locations, uncovering and translating user needs that drive customer-centered design solutions across our membership experiences, in our website and mobile app.
As Director, you will lead both the User Experience Research discipline, as well as our Customer Experience (CX) program, looking at Digital CX Insights. The right candidate will therefore have deep expertise in User Research (foundational, generative and evaluative), Design Thinking, CSAT/CX measurement, and a proven track record of successfully consulting and partnering with Product Owners, Designers, and business stakeholders.
- Lead a large and growing team of UX Researchers, CX Analysts and a Research Manager in New York, Phoenix and London, delivering insights that drive a digital product portfolio – across all phases of design and development.
- Transform ideas, business opportunities, and creative vision into desirable outcomes for our users – establishing user needs and goals from the outset, by advocating and driving a user-centered design process.
- Work with peers across the digital leadership team (Directors of Product, Design, Analytics, etc) to determine insight needs, make appropriate recommendations - and agree prioritization that aligns with the product roadmap.
- Drive both strategic and tactical research, that considers business objectives, for both near-term deliverables and longer-term vision/roadmaps.
- End-to-end responsibility for leading the research program, overseeing 15 individual contributors/practitioners, ranging from the Analyst to Principal level, creating an environment where they can grow their capabilities and do their best work.
- Lead/Facilitate design thinking workshops, working with multiple stakeholders to drive empathy for the user, and identify ways to address un-met needs and create delight.
- Co-create the future of Design in American Express, as part of the Design Leadership Team, setting vision and direction.
- Drive the continuous improvement of the team as we build the maturity of our function, helping educate stakeholders and sharing best practice with peers and junior colleagues.
- Identify and drive best practices for CX measurement, deployed on the Qualtrics platform, working with other parts of the business to drive consistency across the enterprise.
- Work with the Research Manager to oversee budget, planning, and vendor relationships & onboarding.
- Act as an ambassador for Design & Research within and outside of American Express.
- Undergraduate or Masters Degree in Human-Computer Interaction, Cognitive Science, Psychology, Interaction Design, Computer/Information Science, or similar; or equivalent practical experience.
- 10+ years of UX Research / Digital Interaction experience with consumer facing digital products, websites and mobile experiences.
- Track record of being in people leader positions, managing high performing teams, where you’ve guided and grown the managerial skills of others.
- Demonstrated experience working directly with digital Product Managers to deliver user experience research at scale.
- Proven experience in identifying research needs, matching those needs to research methods, and aligning approach with overall business strategy.
- Expert-level knowledge in conducting foundational, formative and evaluative research using of a range of qualitative and quantitative methods such as: usability testing, contextual inquiry, surveys and remote testing (using UserZoom or Qualtrics), participatory design, ethnography, diary studies, A/B testing, etc.
- Portfolio of work as a research practitioner on large end-to-end projects, demonstrating craft: from screener and test plan creation, to moderation/facilitation, and storytelling to socializing results and recommendations.
- Experienced at designing and delivering collaborative workshops involving Design Thinking, empathy & journey mapping, persona creation, etc.
- Exceptional ability to synthesize multiple inputs (analytics, metrics, qualitative and quantitative insights, and stakeholder/business direction) to arrive at recommendations that deliver customer-focused outcomes for the organization.
- Ability to effectively collaborate with cross-functional partners to drive multiple research projects at pace and scale, in a matrix environment.
- Strong communication, story-telling, influencing and relationship-building skills.
- Change agent; not afraid to challenge the status quo for the benefit of the customer.
Why American Express?
There’s a difference between having a job and making a difference.
American Express has been making a difference in people’s lives for over 160 years, backing them in moments big and small, granting access, tools, and resources to take on their biggest challenges and reap the greatest rewards.
We’ve also made a difference in the lives of our people, providing a culture of learning and collaboration, and helping them with what they need to succeed and thrive. We have their backs as they grow their skills, conquer new challenges, or even take time to spend with their family or community. And when they’re ready to take on a new career path, we’re right there with them, giving them the guidance and momentum into the best future they envision.
Because we believe that the best way to back our customers is to back our people.
The powerful backing of American Express.
Don’t make a difference without it.
Don’t live life without it.
Depending on factors such as business unit requirements, the nature of the position, cost and applicable laws, American Express may provide visa sponsorship for certain positions.
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time
Date Posted: Dec 3, 2019, 9:47:27 AM