American Express Careers
Campus Graduate - 2020 Global Risk Banking Compliance Summer Internship
The Global Risk Banking & Compliance Organization (“GRBC”) ensures the company operates in a safe, sound and fully compliant manner within all applicable regulatory expectations. There are 5 main areas within GRBC; 1) Compliance, 2) Global Risk Oversight, 3) Global Bank Oversight, 4) Global Regulatory Affairs, and 5) Privacy and Information Risk Management. We are passionate about our commitment to driving the company’s goals of growth and progress by creating a culture of awareness and proactivity around regulatory matters, and by partnering closely with business units across the enterprise to ensure we deliver maximum value to our shareholders and our customers efficiently and effectively.
Within GRBC, we have subject matter experts focused on risk, Compliance, affiliate and vendor management among others. Some examples include:
- Risk: The Global Operational Risk & Oversight Organization is responsible for managing AXPs “Risk Universe” through continuous monitoring, reviews and testing across American Express processes. This team strengthens AXP’s risk management practices through the latest advances in data science and technology, staying apprised of changing regulatory landscape, and monitoring emerging risks across the industry. This team is responsible for overseeing Enterprise, Operational, Credit, Market, and Model Risk across the company and provides continuous updates to the AXP Chief Risk Officer.
- Compliance: This position is within the Line of Business Compliance team supporting US Consumer Products and Services. This role will provide compliance support, direction and enable solutions to the business to ensure compliance with applicable laws and regulations for consumer products, capabilities, features and processes.
- Line of Business Compliance Officers:
- Play a critical role within project steering committees, are integral members of project working teams and provide a solution driven approach while considering/mitigating risk.
- Advise and influence key components of product construct design to ensure products and features are built appropriately and in a compliant manner.
- Provide project Governance and Oversight and approve all features and output of test conditions.
- Maintain robust knowledge of critical impacted processes, platforms and corresponding risk and controls.
- Provide continual regulatory advice through every phase of projects.
- US Banks: enables growth across American Express through safe and sound banking practices, leveraging a team with robust banking experience and deep industry and business knowledge. Groups within the US Bank team include:
- Marketing and Product Management: partners with teams across the enterprise to ensure that the affiliate companies that develop and execute marketing strategy and product development for the Banks’ products and services comply with all applicable laws.
- Vendor and Operational Risk: supports strategy execution by leveraging affiliate and third party vendors, managing over 100 affiliate agreements and nearly 1,500 master service agreements, ensuring regulatory expectations are met
- Credit and Fraud Risk: facilitates growth by managing credit and fraud risk for all bank products across the customer life cycle, leveraging deep product, process and regulatory knowledge to smooth potential roadblocks.
- Community Reinvestment Act (CRA): the Banks are responsible for complying with the Community Reinvestment Act (CRA). GRBC assists the Banks compliance efforts through small business regulatory reporting, originating real estate loans and tax credit investment opportunities and managing employees’ volunteerism for community development services.
- Project Management Office: enables the Banks’ strategy goals by lending expertise and hands-on project management oversight across a range of initiatives and regulatory requirements.
- Regulatory Supervision Services: advises internal business partners in building strong relationships with U.S. regulators, drives operational excellence in the handling of all U.S. examinations and regulatory interactions, oversees and facilitates the company’s strategic responses in connection with matters requiring attention issued by regulators
- International Banking: assists with the development, roll-out, and sustainability of our international dashboard – a reporting tool that publishes key data points from our international markets to key stakeholders enterprise-wide to help inform decisions, raise vulnerabilities where applicable, and keep management informed of international banking activity including, but not limited to, international exams and regulatory relations. Coordinates best practice sharing across international markets and ensures smooth functioning by international teams focused on risk, operations, and banking.
Privacy and Information Risk Management Team is responsible for overseeing the risks related Global Privacy, Information Security, Records Management, Data Deletion and Information Technology. The team focus on driving and maintaining trust in the American Express brand through the creation of independent risk frameworks, policies and practices that ultimately protect our customers’ personal information while driving transparency and fairness in how the Company uses data
- Define business requirements and support implementation of the capability for the critical processes
- Develop systemized processes for technology product launches (e.g., project management templates, communication plans, training materials)
- Develop enhanced methodology to derive appropriate thresholds which would result in optimal number and quality of alerts
- Create appropriate benchmark to historical data to optimize efficacy and effectiveness of alerts
- Demonstrated experience building, sustaining and leveraging relationships
- Strong work ethic, organizational skills and attention to detail with excellent follow-up skills
- Demonstrated willingness to take initiative and act decisively
- Ability to think strategically and influence teammates on multiple, cross-functional teams
- Positive, can-do attitude embracing Growth Mindset
- Project management skills with the ability to prioritize and multitask
- Currently enrolled in full-time Graduate degree program
- Students must have a graduation date between December 2020 and June 2021
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Ability to organize, manage, analyze, and interpret large amounts of data to identify trends and themes
- Proven ability to translate highly technical and complex information into easily understandable terms
- Superior Microsoft Office skills with emphasis on Excel and PowerPoint
- Microsoft Access skills
- Strong understanding and knowledge of bank laws and regulations, relevant compliance requirements, U.S. Bank systems and processes as well as legal contracts and related governance activities a plus.
- Knowledge of relevant regulatory compliance requirements, preferably at a regulated financial institution and / or consumer products and AML/ Anti-Corruption/BSA.
- Commercial real estate or commercial underwriting background, experience in CRA investment vehicles or a Community Development Finance Certification.
- Experience with audit, compliance, risk, regulatory management, marketing and product management, finance, technologies or control related functions is a plus
- SAS, SQL, skills a plus
- Familiarity with statistical/analytical software packages.
- Experience with Archer/SIQ also a plus.
American Express’ heritage was built on service and has been sustained by innovation. Through our evolution from an express mail business in 1850, to one of the world’s largest card issuers by purchasing volume and a digital innovator, we’ve never been afraid to explore new possibilities and embrace the changing marketplace.
From our high employee Satisfaction ratings to our many workplace awards, American Express is consistently recognized as a great place to work by people around the world. We offer talented individuals challenging work with purpose by embracing both innovation and tradition. As our company has grown and evolved, sometimes reinventing our business outright, we have never strayed from the customer-service ethos and values on which the company was built –trust, security, integrity, quality, good citizenship, respect and customer commitment.
Our team will review completed applications on a rolling basis. We
appreciate your patience while we consider your application and will be in
contact with you by April 30th.
Depending on factors such as business unit requirements, the nature of the position, cost and applicable laws, American Express may provide visa sponsorship for certain positions.
American Express is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other status protected by law.
Tags: MBA/MS, Handshake UNV-12520
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time
Date Posted: Sep 10, 2019, 10:23:29 PM