Why American Express?
There’s a difference between having a job and making a difference.
American Express has been making a difference in people’s lives for over 160 years,
backing them in moments big and small, granting access, tools, and resources to take
on their biggest challenges and reap the greatest rewards.
We’ve also made a difference in the lives of our people, providing a culture of learning
and collaboration, and helping them with what they need to succeed and thrive. We
have their backs as they grow their skills, conquer new challenges, or even take time to
spend with their family or community. And when they’re ready to take on a new career
path, we’re right there with them, giving them the guidance and momentum into the
best future they envision.
Because we believe that the best way to back our customers is to back our people.
The powerful backing of American Express.
Don’t make a difference without it.
Don’t live life without it.
We are looking for a great Engineering Manager to coach and enable our development team to work efficiently and quickly together. You’ll be part of the Acquisition Application Experience Engineering team whose mandate is to streamline and customize the card application process for American Express customers.
You’ll be working in a fast-paced environment with the stability of working for a Fortune 100 company. Your primary responsibilities will be to work on a small team of engineers. You should be familiar with modern software development methodologies, and be able to dive deep and rapidly iterate on ideas despite ambiguity.
Hands-on engineering expertise in developing complex, large scale enterprise applications using the current tech stack
Responsible for technical aspects of software engineering for assigned applications including design, developing prototypes, and coding assignments
Partners with customers and other internal teams and technical product managers to deliver improvements to the platform
Establish and accepts responsibility for engineering practices across teams for example the code review, build and release process and the effectiveness of the retrospective
Empower teams to automate demand driven scalable application deployments in test or production environments
Apply specialized knowledge of industry standards or practices to assigned initiatives in order to identify complex and or broad problems and issues and formulate recommendations
Collaborates with leadership across teams to define solutions, technical implementation to drive software maturity and practices
People Leader to individual scrum team, including colleagues and contractors, dotted line leadership to similarly placed colleagues in scrum team(s)
Promote, empower, and practice servant-leadership
Drives the team’s technical improvements and roadmap
Takes accountability for the technical maturity of the team
Mentor and guide team members to success; identify strengths and areas for growth in direct reports and guides them to grow in their careers while being more productive on the team
Nurture an environment of continuous engineering improvement through mentoring, feedback, and metrics
Working with Engineering Director to hire top talent for the team
Formal people-leadership responsibilities for 8+ engineers
- Bachelor’s Degree in computer science, computer science engineering, or related experience required; advanced degree preferred
- 5+ years of active engineering with current tech stack and ability to build complex, large-scale enterprise applications
- Ability to architect technical solutions and improve current tech stack with new and impactful technologies
- 2+ years of leadership experience in a complex technical environment and/or comparable experience
- Successful design, creation and deployment of one or more enterprise-grade technology assets, including integration of cross-platform solutions in an Agile product environment
- Experience with agile software development methodologies and practices such as SAFE, Scrum, Kanban
- Ability to set priorities and multi-task in a fast-paced environment
- You are experienced with working in engineering teams, as a Scrum Master, Product Owner, or Team Lead with agile teams
- Knowledge of developing trends and emerging standards in multiple tech stacks.
- You have a deep understanding of communication, group dynamics and coaching
- You are not afraid to raise issues and drive change to remove impediments from your team
- You foster a culture of innovation, ideas, and continuous improvement
- You challenge the status quo, demonstrate risk taking, and implement creative ideas
- You care about learning new things and improving existing challenges
- You are passionate about technology and always have the customer’s best interest in mind
- You have a thorough understanding of how the web works and modern web application architectures
- You thrive when developing great people, not just great products
- You are either an experienced manager or a top-level individual contributor looking to make a move to team leadership
- You have experience in fostering a strong engineering culture in an agile environment
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
Employment eligibility to work with American Express in the U.S. is required as the company will not pursue visa sponsorship for these positions.
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time
Date Posted: Sep 11, 2019, 5:09:17 AM