Why American Express?
There’s a difference between having a job and making a difference.
American Express is entering into a technology transformation phase driven by opportunities to modernize legacy platforms, and explore modern software to be on the leading edge of the payments industry. American Express is looking for strong leaders to be part of high performing teams that will build and support our next generation platforms. If you have the talent and passion to drive innovation and deliver at a rapid pace, with deep hands on experience in areas of real-time, highly available, cloud-native application development, join our engineering teams to transform our systems.
Your primary responsibility is to lead the development of our next generation distributed platform, aligning resources and delivery with business growth and diversification, while significantly improving service quality and cost-effectiveness. We expect the individual to be innovative and energetic with strong communications skills.
Purpose of the Role:
We're seeking a Sr engineer who possesses deep technical and analytical skills and can work as part of an ultra agile team of strong engineers. Our engineers "know" big data and keep up with the latest technologies. They're able to quickly assess a problem and provide good solutions. Other than just technical expertise, they also display good judgement and intuition honed by learning from past experience.
This position suits someone who possesses strong technical fundamentals, good architecture knowledge, can take the initiative to research and determine the right solution for non trivial requirements and quickly implement proof of concept. The candidate should be able to study and possibly extend open source code of various projects.
As a Senior Engineer, you’ll be responsible for designing and building high performance, scalable data solutions that meet the needs of our big data platform customers - Engineers, Analysts and Data Scientists. You’ll design, develop, and test robust, scalable data platform components. You’ll work with a variety of teams and individuals, including product engineers to understand their data pipeline needs and come up with innovative solutions. You’ll work with a team of talented engineers and collaborate with product managers and designers to help define new data products and features.
Critical Factors to Success:
• Agile Practices
• Porting/Software Configuration
• Programming Languages and Frameworks
• Business Analysis
• Analytical Thinking
• Business Product Knowledge
8+ years of software development experience.
• 4+ years of software development experience in Big data Technologies like Spark, Scala, Python, Hive, Mapreduce, YARN, Zookeeper, PIG and Unix.
• 3+ Years of Experience working on any of ETL tools, Preferably Datastage.
• 3+ Years of Experience working on Mainframe Technology, will be an added advantage.
Bachelor's or master’s degree in computer science, computer engineering, or other technical discipline, or equivalent work experience, is preferred.
Knowledge of Platforms:
Enterprise Leadership Behaviors
• Set The Agenda: Define What Winning Looks Like, Put Enterprise Thinking First, Lead with an External Perspective
• Bring Others With You: Build the Best Team, Seek & Provide Coaching Feedback, Make Collaboration Essential
• Do It The Right Way: Communicate Frequently, Candidly & Clearly, Make Decisions Quickly & Effectively, Live the Blue Box Values, Great Leadership Demands Courage .
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time
Date Posted: Sep 19, 2019, 5:26:23 PM