2020 UK Human Resources MBA Internship
American Express is a global financial services company, providing customers with access to products, insights and experiences that enrich lives and build business success.
Global Human Resources is charged with the development and delivery of a business-focused HR strategy that attracts, develops, motivates, and retains American Express’ most important asset – its people. The HR organization partners with business leaders to drive business results through programs, and services that meet the needs of our employees around the world.
Our well-established Summer Internship Program is the main pipeline into our full-time HR Global Rotation Program (GRP). This two-year program consists of three rotations: a specialist rotation within one of our HR Centers of Excellence, an HR generalist rotation, and a non-HR rotation within a line of business. One of these rotations is international, and based in one of our global markets. The program is small, high-touch, and designed to develop the future HR leaders at American Express. Participants in the GRP are provided a number of resources, including an external executive coach, a VP mentor, and an alumni GRP buddy. GRP alumni have gone on to hold key roles in areas such as Talent & Careers, Organizational Effectiveness, Human Capital Analytics, Learning and Development and HR Business Partnership.
The summer internship provides high-performing MBA/Masters students the opportunity to gain hands-on experience in projects that have strategic significance to American Express. Interns lead an individual project from end-to-end that has high visibility and lasting impact. Throughout the course of the summer, interns are given significant exposure to senior leadership and all functional areas of HR at American Express. At the culmination of the program, interns present their insights and recommendations to the Chief Human Resources Officer, the HR senior leadership team, and separately, the Global Human Resources community.
· Obtain a comprehensive understanding of the business and its needs and translate business opportunities into key HR imperatives
· Provide a fresh perspective on existing business challenges
· Develop innovative solutions that will drive business results and impact individual and organizational capability, talent management, employee engagement, change management and/or rewards and recognition
· Build partnerships with senior leaders and employees at all levels and influence business decisions by providing advice and counsel
· Active participation in a MBA/Masters curriculum from a top school with a graduation date between December 2020 and June 2021
· Three years of work experience (HR-related experience is not required)
· Proven ability to drive results
· Strong leadership experience with demonstrated ability to lead people/teams/projects
Desired skills and strengths
· Highest standard of integrity and professionalism
· Business acumen, strategic mindset and ability to provide thought leadership and insight
· Project management
· Analytical thinking and complex problem solving skills
· Interpersonal skills, including the ability to communicate and build relationships at all levels
· General change management experience
· Collaborative team player
· Adaptability and flexibility to adjust working style to effectively navigate a variety of situations
· Curiosity and a keen interest in learning and innovation
· Driven by purpose and perseveres in the face of challenges
· Demonstrates self-awareness and intentionality around personal growth
Why American Express?
There’s a difference between having a job and making a difference.
American Express has been making a difference in people’s lives for over 160 years, backing them in moments big and small, granting access, tools, and resources to take on their biggest challenges and reap the greatest rewards.
We’ve also made a difference in the lives of our people, providing a culture of learning and collaboration, and helping them with what they need to succeed and thrive. We have their backs as they grow their skills, conquer new challenges, or even take time to spend with their family or community. And when they’re ready to take on a new career path, we’re right there with them, giving them the guidance and momentum into the best future they envision.
Because we believe that the best way to back our customers is to back our people.
The powerful backing of American Express.
Don’t make a difference without it.
Don’t live life without it.
Learn more about our Global Human Resources group at American Express by visiting
Internship start date – 1st June 2020 and the last day will be 7th August 2020 (10 weeks).
- Active participation in a MBA curriculum with a graduation date between December 2020 and June 2021
- Proven ability to drive results
- Strong leadership experience with demonstrated ability to lead people/teams/projects
- Highest standard of integrity and professionalism
- Business acumen, strategic mindset and ability to provide thought leadership and insight
- Project management
- Analytical thinking and complex problem solving skills
- Interpersonal skills, including the ability to communicate and build relationships at all levels
- General change management experience
- Collaborative team player
- Adaptability and flexibility to adjust working style to effectively navigate a variety of situations
- Curiosity and a keen interest in learning and innovation
- Driven by purpose and perseveres in the face of challenges
- Demonstrates self-awareness and intentionality around personal growth
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time
Date Posted: Sep 23, 2019, 4:14:31 AM