This NYC-based position will be an integral member of the public affairs team supporting the American Express Global Merchant & Network Services (GMNS) division. GMNS comprises a core group of AXP businesses that build and manage important partnerships for the company, including the relationships with the millions of merchants around the world that accept American Express, as well as the partnerships with banks and loyalty partners. The Manager will provide effective external and internal communications support and counsel to key business partners, develop and execute proactive media strategies to further business unit objectives, and support AXP involvement within key industry engagement groups. The Manager will report to the Director, Corporate Affairs and Communications supporting the GMNS business.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
(a) External Communications
- Support the business goals of GMNS by helping to develop and implement communications programs, including driving awareness of the value we provide to merchants and other partners, as well as the capabilities of the American Express network globally.
- Develop communications campaigns and materials, including press releases, blog posts, social media content, conference presentations, white papers, and more.
- Support American Express involvement with key industry engagement groups, ensuring the GMNS team has a public voice on important industry trends and topics.
- Monitor competitor and industry-level activities, including advancements in emerging payment technologies, merchant aggregator developments, and network policy changes.
- Represent GMNS in the region as a primary spokesperson responding to media inquiries.
- Work with colleagues globally to ensure GMNS products and services are accurately and consistently represented in local markets.
(b) Colleague Communications
- Support development and execution of effective internal communications programs, including GMNS global town halls, content for the American Express intranet, organization announcements, reward and recognition programs, and more.
- Provide internal messaging for company-wide initiatives and issues that may impact GMNS as well as issues unique to the business.
- Superior written, verbal and media relations skills.
- Five to seven years’ public relations experience, with established ability to influence and counsel internal and external stakeholders while managing multiple priorities and a deadline-driven work environment.
- Proven ability to quickly learn and absorb complex and technical subjects and translate material into comprehensive and easy to understand communications messages.
- Payments, banking, and/or fintech industry experience a plus.
- Creativity in developing and managing stories with national, local and trade press.
- Proven experience in managing PR agencies and/or teams; agency experience a plus.
- Needs to be a self-starter, good project manager, and able to work independently, while operating as a team player adaptable to diverse group of colleagues and clients.
- Strong attention to detail and organization.
- Location: 200 Vesey St, New York, NY 10285
- Visa Sponsorship: Employment eligibility to work with American Express in the U.S. is required as the company will not pursue visa sponsorship for this position.
There’s a difference between having a job and making a difference.
American Express has been making a difference in people’s lives for over 160 years, backing them in moments big and small, granting access, tools, and resources to take on their biggest challenges and reap the greatest rewards.
We’ve also made a difference in the lives of our people, providing a culture of learning and collaboration, and helping them with what they need to succeed and thrive. We have their backs as they grow their skills, conquer new challenges, or even take time to spend with their family or community. And when they’re ready to take on a new career path, we’re right there with them, giving them the guidance and momentum into the best future they envision.
Because we believe that the best way to back our customers is to back our people.
The powerful backing of American Express.
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time
Date Posted: Oct 2, 2019, 12:44:18 AM