This Manager role is a member of Global Accounting Policy & Advisory (GAPA) group within Global Controllership at American Express Company (the Company).
This role will be a significant contributor in designing, establishing and communicating the Company’s accounting policies and staying on the leading front of emerging US GAAP and evaluating the impact of emerging accounting requirements.
Beyond providing technical accounting support in the areas mentioned above, GAPA’s primary roles include providing technical accounting guidance to the Company’s broader Global Controllership organization on new products and transactions, providing technical accounting training, maintaining the Company’s Goodwill assessment, providing technical accounting advisory services and thought leadership for a M&A transactions executed primarily by the Corporate Development organization and interacting with the Company’s internal and external auditors as well as influencing external standard setting. Over time, this role will likely be exposed to various opportunities within GAPA based on the varying business needs.
This position offers excellent exposure to a diverse and talented team of Controllership professionals who support a broad array of American Express businesses and products.
What Type of Work Will I Do
- Collaborate with business partners (e.g., Controllers, Financial Reporting, etc.) to identify, develop and communicate additions or updates to global accounting policies.
- Monitor, evaluate and communicate the impacts of emerging accounting standards and requirements from the FASB, IASB, SEC and other regulatory entities throughout the organization.
- Present impact assessments and technical accounting updates to senior leaders and the Company's auditors.
- Assist the GAPA training team in developing and delivering training across the company on technical accounting matters
What Background / Experiences Are We Looking For
- Professional accounting experience, including at least 4 years of experience at a large public accounting firm
- Strong technical understanding of US GAAP and IFRS.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to clearly and concisely translate complex accounting terms into plain English.
- Strong project management skills with the capability to prioritize multiple demands.
- Be able to work as part of a team in a consultative environment, constantly working with various groups within AXP, as well as work independently on individual projects.
- A successful track record of developing strong relationships across a broad range of leadership functions allowing the person to effectively influence and effect change.
- CPA, Chartered Accountant or equivalent required
- The role will be based in New York.
Why work in Finance at American Express
There’s a difference between having a job and making a difference. American Express has been making a difference in people’s lives for over 160 years, backing them in moments big and small, granting access, tools and resources to take on their biggest challenges and reap the greatest rewards.
We’ve also made a difference in the lives of our people, providing a culture of learning and collaboration, and helping them with what they need to succeed and thrive. We have their backs as they grow their skills, conquer new challenges, or even take time to spend with their family or community.
At the center of American Express and all key business decisions is Finance. Finance provides decision support, funding and meaningful analytics that help grow our business and uphold our reputation as one of the premier finance organizations in the world.
Whether you’re working with a business unit focused on the consumers, small business or major corporations, you’ll have the opportunity and resources available to make an impact.
Employment eligibility to work with American Express in the U.S. is required as the company will not pursue visa sponsorship for these positions.
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time
Date Posted: Oct 22, 2019, 1:47:53 PM