Why American Express?
There’s a difference between having a job and making a difference.
American Express has been making a difference in people’s lives for over 160 years, backing them in moments big and small, granting access, tools, and resources to take on their biggest challenges and reap the greatest rewards.
We’ve also made a difference in the lives of our people, providing a culture of learning and collaboration, and helping them with what they need to succeed and thrive. We have their backs as they grow their skills, conquer new challenges, or even take time to spend with their family or community. And when they’re ready to take on a new career path, we’re right there with them, giving them the guidance and momentum into the best future they envision.
Because we believe that the best way to back our customers is to back our people.
The powerful backing of American Express.
Don’t make a difference without it.
Don’t live life without it.
Senior Engineering Manager
American Express Technology seeks a Senior Engineering Manager (SEM) in the Global Risk Technology (GRT) organization.
We are seeking a highly motivated SEM who is passionate about driving constructive and creative change in our culture, while leading the advancement of the Global Acquisitions application. The SEM will partner with Enterprise Digital Analytics (EDA) and Global Servicing Group (GSG) Product Owners, Product Managers, Strategy Partners and Credit Underwriters to deliver improvements to the acquisition application.
Key Responsibilities include:
- Performs hands-on architecture, design, and development of systems
- Serving as a senior member of an engineering team that designs and develops software applications
- Owning all technical aspects of software development for assigned applications; Performing hands-on architecture, design, and development of systems
- Taking control of the platform and responsible for enhancing the same in line with company strategy
- Splits time between writing code and testing, in support of product/platform release sprints
- Driving consistent development practices - tools and common components; Developing deep understanding of tie-ins with other systems and platforms within the supported domains and working to simplify them where possible
- Working with product managers contributing to blueprints, and assisting with annual planning of feature sets
- Liaises with product owner to help prioritize items in backlog for ongoing sprints
- Identifying exciting opportunities for adopting new technologies to solve existing needs and predicting future challenges
- Mentoring and Leadership of a team of Engineers
- Hands-on Application Developer with expertise in developing complex and large-scale applications
- Demonstrate a solid understanding of the business process and drivers for change to recommend the right solution
- Develop innovative solutions that enhance customer experience
- Responsible for all aspects of application development for GRU CM including planning, developing prototypes, and coding assignments
- Establishes and accepts responsibility for application development practices across teams for e.g. (but not limited to) code review, build and release process, Test Driven Development (TDD) etc.
- Collaborate with leadership across teams to define solutions, implementation to drive Application maturity and practices including but not limited to TDD, continuous deployments to Arena and higher environments, Mirror adoption etc.
- Exposure to a wide variety of technologies across the full application stack and including but not limited to Pega, JEE, Java, XML, Dot.Net, Oracle, DB2 etc..
- People Leader to scrum teams, including B30 colleagues and vendor partners
- Empower the team by building innovative products that enhance GRU user experience and time to market (Mobile, UX/UI redesign)
- Promotes, empowers, and practices servant-leadership
- Drives the team towards continuous improvement.
- Takes accountability for the maturity of the team
- Mentors and guides team members to success; identifies strengths and areas for growth in direct reports and guides them to grow in their careers while helping them be more productive
- Nurtures an environment of continuous improvement through mentoring, feedback, and metrics
- Works with Engineering Director to hire top talent for the team
Education & Experience Requirements:
- Master’s degree in computer science, computer engineering, or related experience required
- 10+ years of Application Development experience
- 5+ years leadership experience in a complex environment and/or comparable experience
- A good balance of business insight and Technology knowledge with experience in driving innovation with a customer-first mindset
- American Express & Harvard Certificate in Leadership Excellence graduate
- An established background in launching large-scale Applications or services in partnership with Application Development teams and high degree of proficiency in prototyping, iterative development and Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe)
- Successful planning, creation and deployment of one or more large-scale- technology assets, including integration of cross-platform solutions in an Agile product environment
- Ability to set priorities and multi-task in a fast-paced environment
- Hands on experience with improving testing and documentation practices.
- Ability to learn and adapt in a rapidly changing environment
- Adaptable to changes in product requirements, organizational structures and business conditions
- Engaged with the Technology community, comfortable in demonstrating products to senior leaders
- Graduate of PeopleTek Leadership Journey II or other similar leadership training preferred
Employment eligibility to work with American Express in the U.S. is required as the company will not pursue visa sponsorship for these positions.
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time
Date Posted: Nov 4, 2019, 3:25:31 PM