There’s a difference between having a job and making a difference.
American Express has been making a difference in people’s lives for over 160 years, backing them in moments big and small, granting access, tools, and resources to take on their biggest challenges and reap the greatest rewards.
We’ve also made a difference in the lives of our people, providing a culture of learning and collaboration, and helping them with what they need to succeed and thrive. We have their backs as they grow their skills, conquer new challenges, or even take time to spend with their family or community. And when they’re ready to take on a new career path, we’re right there with them, giving them the guidance and momentum into the best future they envision.
Because we believe that the best way to back our customers is to back our people.
American Express Technology is looking for a Software Engineer I to join a dynamic and innovative development team. Our team builds multi-functional, rich global credit authorizations solutions, critical to the core of American Express’ business. The team uses the Agile methodology for project delivery and operates in a fast-paced business environment. From integrating with American Express Network partners, such as international banks, to developing highly available solutions and serving internal and external customers there will always be new and unpredictable challenges in this environment.
This position is an Engineer I and member of a product engineering or delivery and integration team reporting to an Engineering Director.
- Owns all technical aspects of software development for assigned applications; Performs hands-on architecture, design and development of systems
- Manages and mentors’ teams of junior engineers through ongoing development efforts
- Functions as a member of an agile team and helps drive consistent development practices – tools, common components, and documentation
- Develops deep understanding of tie-ins with other systems and platforms within the supported domains
- Works closely with product owners on blueprints and annual planning of feature sets that impact multiple platforms and products
- Typically spends 90% of time writing code and testing, and remainder of time collaborating with stakeholders through ongoing product/platform releases
- Provides continuous support for ongoing application availability
- Identifies opportunities to adopt innovative technologies
- Writing code and unit tests, working on API’s, Distributed Batch, automation, and conducting code reviews and testing.
- 6+ years of hands-on programming experience in Java
- Experience in architecture, infrastructure, applications, systems design and integration
- Clear understanding of object-oriented development
- Strong development experience with Java 8, Spring framework, REST API's and Linux
- Prior experience building out Enterprise grade platforms that can scale and perform at best in class economics
- Experience in developing frameworks using Open Source Technologies and promoting code reuse across the enterprise is a plus
- The ability to clearly and concisely communicate complex technical concepts to non-technical individuals
- Proven track record to lead problem analysis and resolution
- Hands on expertise in performance optimization of distributed systems
- Experience with SQL, Hive, and Python scripting
- Demonstrated experience with Agile or other rapid application development methods
- Ability to effectively communicate across third parties and technical and business product managers on solution design
- Ability to enable business capabilities through innovation
- Demonstrated willingness to learn new technologies and takes pride in how fast they develop working software
- Understanding of database structures and functioning
- Must be able to thrive in an environment of heavy team interaction and collaboration
- A Bachelors or Master’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or Electrical Engineering is a plus, or equivalent work experience
- Experience with Card authorization, merchant technologies and digital capabilities a plus.
- Experience in multiple IT disciplines.
- Agile development experience
Every member of our team must be able to demonstrate the following technical, functional, leadership and business core competencies, including:
- Agile Practices
- Porting/Software Configuration
- Programming Languages and Frameworks
- Business Analysis
- Analytical Thinking
- Business Product Knowledge
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time
Date Posted: Nov 1, 2019, 5:13:14 PM