Why American Express?
There’s a difference between having a job and making a difference.
American Express has been making a difference in people’s lives for over 160 years, backing them in moments big and small, granting access, tools, and resources to take on their biggest challenges and reap the greatest rewards.
We’ve also made a difference in the lives of our people, providing a culture of learning and collaboration, and helping them with what they need to succeed and thrive. We have their backs as they grow their skills, conquer new challenges, or even take time to spend with their family or community. And when they’re ready to take on a new career path, we’re right there with them, giving them the guidance and momentum into the best future they envision.
Because we believe that the best way to back our customers is to back our people.
The powerful backing of American Express.
Don’t make a difference without it.
Don’t live life without it.
We are looking for a great Engineering Manager to coach and enable our development teams to work efficiently and quickly together. We want someone with strong technical skills and creativity. Should enjoy solving tough problems and working with new technologies. You should not be shy about sharing your ideas, and be obsessive about user experience and beautiful code.
You’ll be part of the Mobile Engineering team whose mandate is to develop new products and platforms for American Express customers. Mobile Engineering’s aim is to build interactive experiences at all touch points of a consumer's journey whether before, at, or after the time of purchase. Your primary responsibilities will be to lead a team of engineers developing mobile applications that will be used by tens of millions of American Express cardholders around the world. You should be familiar with modern software development methodologies, and be able to dive deep and rapidly iterate on ideas despite ambiguity. You’ll be working in a fast-paced environment with the stability of working for a Fortune 100 company. This leader will encompass a unique blend of strong leadership and an in-depth engineering skillset especially with modern application development technologies.
What you’ll do:
• Contribute to building an environment where continuous improvement of the development process is in focus and where everyone’s common goal is to deliver outstanding software as fast as possible
• Coach teams facing tough challenges e.g. related to how they work and interact together
• Facilitate learning through workshops, retros, meetings, and team offsites
• Actively try to identify areas of improvement and conceptualize methods on how to be more efficient
• You will build and lead a team of engineers through hiring, coaching, mentoring, and hands-on career development
• You will provide deep technical guidance in a number of aspects of production data engineering of internal tools, from analytics to
• You will work with close counterparts in other disciplines as part of a cross-functional team, and nurture this culture in your team
• Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Information Systems Technology or related field.
• You have 5+ years of experience with working in engineering teams, as a Scrum Master, Product Owner, or Team Lead with agile teams
• Knowledge of developing trends and emerging standards in mobile apps, mobile payments, and wearables
• Familiar with the whole software development life cycle (e.g. requirements, analysis, design, implementation, testing, and documentation) and - execution models (e.g. Waterfall, Agile, etc.)
• You have a deep understanding of communication, group dynamics and coaching
• You are not afraid to raise issues and drive change to remove impediments from your team
• You care about learning new things and improving existing challenges
• You are passionate about technology and always have the customer’s best interest in mind
• You thrive when developing great people, not just great products
• You are well-versed in data-driven and data-informed product development
• You are comfortable with the nuts and bolts of both data engineering and data science
• You are either an experienced manager or a top-level individual contributor looking to make a move to team leadership
• You have experience in fostering a strong engineering culture in an agile environment
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
Employment eligibility to work with American Express in the U.S. is required as the company will not pursue visa sponsorship for these positions.
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time
Date Posted: Nov 1, 2019, 9:44:21 AM