There’s a difference between having a job and making a difference.
American Express has been making a difference in people’s lives for over 160 years, backing them in moments big and small, granting access, tools, and resources to take on their biggest challenges and reap the greatest rewards.
We’ve also made a difference in the lives of our people, providing a culture of learning and collaboration, and helping them with what they need to succeed and thrive. We have their backs as they grow their skills, conquer new challenges, or even take time to spend with their family or community. And when they’re ready to take on a new career path, we’re right there with them, giving them the guidance and momentum into the best future they envision.
Because we believe that the best way to back our customers is to back our people.
The Global Risk Technology team develops and manages critical components and platforms for new products being launched to support the next generation of customers across market segments. Join us and you could be a core part of this future, running software engineering teams developing against platform vision.
The successful leader for this role will work with AET and Risk to design state of the art infrastructure and solutions for our customer risk management and third-party data integration platforms. This role will regularly interface with backend infrastructure and network. The candidate will be expected to help structure the team optimally, determine the roles and responsibilities and working model, achieve productivity improvements, and lead the application and product roadmaps. The Staff Engineer will be expected to form a strong partnership within the team of Engineering Directors, and with the Product Owner, plus own performance management responsibilities for the assigned engineering team members.
This role will need to:
- Design highly available resilient infrastructure for our next generation customer risk management and third-party data integration platforms
- Design targeted solutions that will scale on our platforms that meet enterprise wide needs
- Design, solution, and develop solutions that solve for performance tuning, enrichment, or enhancement of our platform architecture
- 50% of the time spent on coding and/or hands-on technical implementation
- Work with Staff Architects, Engineering Directors, Solution Architects to define solution requirements and technical implementation approach
- Drive both high-level and detailed technical designs and conduct design reviews as needed
- Provide technical guidance to other software engineers at all levels
- Implement new, highly scalable platform components
- Enhance and maintain existing components of the core platform
- Actively participate in team and company-wide architecture and engineering discussions and forums
- Build POCs to experiment new technologies, databases and other application infrastructure.
- Employ technical expertise to help team members overcome technical problems
- Constantly purse and learn industry leading/innovative technologies and solutions. Be acutely aware of enabling technologies and open-source products to build low latency distributed systems.
- Adhere to release/project schedule and sprint milestones
- Analyze, design, program, debug, and modify software for use in local, networked, cloud-based or Internet-related environments
- Responsible for health and quality of the code across the portfolio, including leadership over SCM, functional testing, and CI/CD tool integration
- Lead a culture of innovation and experimentation, engage in fun and outcome-oriented culture, and always be ready to try new concepts without fear of failure.
- 6+ years of active engineering experience in a complex environment and/or comparable experience
- Strong implementation experience using languages like Java or GoLang, and use of Vert.X
- Experience in using NoSQL databases, like Couchbase, and distributed messaging systems as Kafka in the content of low latency and high transaction volume systems.
- Successful engineering and deployment of enterprise-grade technology assets in an agile product environment
- Ability to share engineering subject matter expertise with architects and other engineers
- Ability to adapt solutions to meet the broader needs of the portfolio
- Expertise in building fault-tolerant, scalable solutions that are performed at a global enterprise scale
- Full understanding of Service Oriented Architecture design principles and implementation patterns
- Ability to construct enterprise-grade APIs using state-of-the-art techniques and best practices (REST, JSON, XML, etc.)
- Proficient in cross-platform integration
- Able to diagnose, resolve, and prevent the recurrence of system outage
- Have excellent written and verbal communications skills. Create and deliver effective presentations to Senior Leadership.
- Bachelor’s Degree in computer science, computer science engineering, or related field required; advanced degree preferred
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time
Date Posted: Nov 15, 2019, 2:54:33 PM