Why American Express?
There’s a difference between having a job and making a difference.
American Express has been making a difference in people’s lives for over 160 years, backing them in moments big and small, granting access, tools, and resources to take on their biggest challenges and reap the greatest rewards.
We’ve also made a difference in the lives of our people, providing a culture of learning and collaboration, and helping them with what they need to succeed and thrive. We have their backs as they grow their skills, conquer new challenges, or even take time to spend with their family or community. And when they’re ready to take on a new career path, we’re right there with them, giving them the guidance and momentum into the best future they envision.
Because we believe that the best way to back our customers is to back our people.
The powerful backing of American Express.
Don’t make a difference without it.
Don’t live life without it.
Designs, develops, troubleshoots, evaluates, modifies, deploys and documents all data components (data architecture, logical and physical data models, database objects and database administration) that meet the needs of customer-facing applications, business applications, and/or internal end user applications.
• Partner with the product teams to understand business data requirements, identify data needs and data sources to create data architecture
• Documents data requirements / data stories and maintains data models to ensure seamless integration into existing data architectures
• Manages data assets as per the enterprise standards, guidelines and policies
• Documents processing requirements inclusive of data and transaction volumes, scalability, security and performance requirements
• Creates and maintains detailed information about the data being stored in the database
• Understands the database requirements and translate into physical database design
• Follows data placement procedures and re-use of existing databases when possible
• Builds and enhances database design and infrastructure required to support the Business portfolio
• Performs database design review and supports database testing
• Provides production environment support for database systems and processes
• Communicates and works collaboratively with business and product teams to support changes and implementation
• Write instructions to guide database operators during production runs
• Works on assigned database features for ongoing sprints and manage database requirements based on industry trends, new technologies, known defects, and issues
• Partner with delivery architects and engineers to design optional data tier solutions to meet platform objectives and goals
• Function as an active member of an agile team through consistent development practices (tools, components, and documentation)
• Identify opportunities to adopt innovative technologies
6+ years of data architecture and database development experience in a professional environment and/or comparable experience such as:
• Familiar with Agile or other rapid application development methods
• Experience with design and development across SQL Server, EDB Postgres, Couchbase, Cassandra database platforms
• Broader understanding of other Relational & NoSQL Database Technologies
• Hands-on expertise with database design both ER Modeling and NoSQL Data Modeling using tools like ERStudio & Hackolade
• Hands-on expertise in DB Performance Tuning, Query Optimization & Troubleshooting
• Bachelor’s Degree in computer science, computer science engineering, or related field required; advanced degree preferred
• Identifies opportunities to adopt innovative technologies to enable business capabilities
• Able to challenge the status quo and drive innovation by generating creative ideas and solutions
• Keeps up-to-date on current research and technology in the industry
• Understands technical aspects of the job and uses appropriate technology for the situation at hand
• Tries new approaches when problem solving, seeking ideas, or suggestions from others as appropriate
• Carries out systematic and rational analysis to identify the root cause of problems
• Recognizes the importance of teamwork to achieve objectives
• Is clear when explaining ideas and concepts to others, communication is structured and easy to understand
• Manages multiple tasks effectively - progresses work in parallel
• Adapts to change quickly and easily
• Handles problems and acts on own initiative without being prompted
• Knows when to escalate decisions and when to make on-the-spot decisions
• Strong analytical skills with a demonstrated ability to understand and document business data requirements in complete, accurate, extensible and flexible logical data models using data modeling tools like ErStudio, Hackolade etc.
• Able to facilitate discussions between small groups of Technology and business people, recognize issues of conflict and inconsistency between data requirements and pursue a resolution of these issues
• Understands XML/JSON and schema development/reuse, Open Source and NoSQL will be an added advantage
• Able to establish, modify or maintain data structures and associated components according to design
• Understands Metadata Management and Database Management concepts
• Creates data models using the relevant tools and frameworks
• Partners with Sr. Data Engineers and Sr. Data architects to create platform level data models and database designs
• Technical knowledge of DBMS products and ecosystem – e.g. storage formats, access algorithms, data management processes, administration, data maintenance, replication, high availability, encryption, etc.
• Ability to monitor and tune databases and DBMS’s to reach high performance – e.g. use data monitoring and analysis tools, tune configuration parameters, alter physical designs, benchmark, etc.
• Has working knowledge of the range of tools used in the planning, analyzing, designing, building, testing, configuring and maintaining of assigned application(s)
• Able to participate in assigned team’s software delivery methodology (Agile, Scrum, Agile XP, Test-Driven Development, Waterfall, etc.)
• Understands and has practical experience with infrastructure technologies and components like servers, jvms and networking concepts
• Application of industry best practices, processes and standards
• Identifies a number of ways to do things differently that will continuously improve the product
• CI/CD Integration tools like Jenkins, Liquibase etc.
• Project Management tools like Rally, Jira etc.
• SDLC Methodologies and Practices
• Metadata Management and Database Management
• System/Platform Domain Knowledge
Employment eligibility to work with American Express in the U.S. is required as the company will not pursue visa sponsorship for these positions
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time
Date Posted: Jan 31, 2020, 1:04:12 PM