American Express is embarking on an exciting transformation driven by an energetic team of highly skilled engineers. This group is nimble and creative with the power to shape our technology by delivering cutting edge products. This is a great opportunity to join the Technology organization within American Express Technologies and be part of our platform transformation journey.
This is one of the most critical platform at the company that provides real time decisions by assessing the credit risk and fraud risk characteristics of transactions. It also plays a key role in multiple other core business functions including Customer Servicing and Financing. As we modernize the platform we need to be able to adapt and change quickly to evolving business needs and risk scenarios with rapid time to market, we are looking for incredibly talented engineering leaders to define and execute against a very ambitious vision.
You’ll work among high performing engineering, design and product teams. Some of the traits we are looking for are, deep technical knowledge, experience in building high transaction volume distributed systems, setting technical goals, contribution to product strategy, stubbornness against settling, bold decision making, driving architecture decisions, and highly available solutions.
Are you a passionate people leader who cares about your team and is a servant leader who coaches, mentors and develop your colleagues.
Does the above sound like you?
In this role you will:
As a Director of Engineering for one of the most critical platforms at American Express, you will be responsible for the vision and execution of the platform’s software engineering and strategy.
· Lead technical projects with a range of engineering teams to design, build, deploy and maintain some of the most diverse scalable platform constructs
· Define & execute the very visible transformation of this global platform to modern distributed technologies.
· Provide leadership and mentorship of teams and manage collaboration with cross-functional engineering & product teams to streamline and improve adoption of this critical platform
· Deliver software supporting real time transactions of very high volume and very low latencies, while providing 5+ nines of system availability
· Have ability to cultivate R&D, innovation, technology step changes and new technology adoption
· Hands on with software code, infrastructure and technical architecture
· Set goals, strategies, budgets, and oversee deployment of large-scale projects across the platform
Your performance is measured by the impact of the products you launch and by your ability to lead and inspire high-performing cross-functional teams that includes Product, Engineering, Design, Data, Finance, Business Development, and Operations
Here is what we are looking for:
· 10+ years of experience as a hands-on technical leader working across a mix of software engineer, product, infrastructure and architecture teams
- Technical fluency - the ability write code and to clearly describe tradeoffs with users and engineers about certain decisions.
- Lead and drive both high level and detailed designs and design reviews
· Highly organized - you are great at research and documenting your learnings
· A history of leveraging SRE, automation and operations teams to scale execution
- Loves dealing with fast pace, changing needs, and limited resources.
· Extensive hands-on experience building and managing the development of complex, large scale enterprise applications and products that require a deep understanding of application logic and dependencies
· Proven experience attracting, hiring, retaining and leading top engineering talent
· The ability to set a high bar for your team and empower them to achieve great results
- A “driver” personality - constantly pushing toward clarity and delivery while balancing the need for great collaboration.
· Experience with Scrum, Kanban, or another Agile application development methodology
· Master’s Degree in computer science, computer science engineering, or commensurate experience required
- Technical understanding must go from the highest abstractions down to the operating system and CPU architecture
- Solid understanding of networking and systems engineering
- Strong organization and prioritization skills along with outstanding written and verbal communication skills.
- Hands on experience in the following environments is preferred:
Java, Go,Vert.x, React, Envoy, gRPC, ProtoBuf, CouchBase, Redis, Consul, Jenkins, Kubernates, OpenShift, Elastic Stack, Kafka, Spark, In-memory data and compute grids, relational databases
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time
Date Posted: Dec 20, 2019, 1:48:28 PM