Where great legal minds influence global business strategy.
Our mission is to protect and strengthen American Express through legal expertise and strategic advice that helps our business partners manage risk, identify opportunities, and deliver on the company’s promise of exceptional products and services. Given the dynamic nature of the global payments industry and the valued partnership between our team and the business, we see it as imperative to attract and develop talented people by:
- Providing rich work experiences and opportunities for professional development
- Recognizing and rewarding those who drive and deliver results
- Respecting and valuing diversity, integrity, and personal accountability
Help propel your team and its business partners to success.
- Day-to-day support of attorneys handling consumer and merchant litigation, including conducting factual research of underlying claims, analyzing disputes, early case assessments, and possibly engaging with pro se litigants and/or opposing counsel;
- Adherence to stringent internal reporting requirements and policies on managing and appropriately documenting electronic case files on matters;
- Performance of research on legal issues on an as-needed basis; and
- Monitor legal and regulatory developments impacting financial services industry.
Are you ready for the challenge?
- Paralegal certificate and/or 5+years relevant legal/business experience with emphasis on litigation and/or claims handling;
- Ability to quickly train on, navigate, and extract information from a variety of databases and information platforms;
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills and strong work ethic;
- Enthusiasm and interest in learning the dynamic American Express businesses and in becoming a key member of a high-performing team; and
- Demonstrated competencies in:
- Working independently;
- Attention to detail;
- Organization of maintenance of time sensitive documents;
- Prioritization and handling of complex docket/multiple tasks;
- Meeting deadlines in a fast – paced environment;
- Regular and prompt attorney interaction;
- Working well in cross-functional team settings; and
- Gaining credibility and developing strong working relationships with legal colleagues and business clients.
- Background in commercial litigation, bankruptcy litigation and/or financial services/consumer law;
- Strong analytical skills;
- Ability to communicate complex issues clearly and persuasively, in both written and oral format;
- Proficiency using Lexis/Westlaw and the Internet for legal and factual research; and
- Knowledge of the legal field and its intersection with business.
- Location: Sunrise, Florida
- Visa Sponsorship: Employment eligibility to work with American Express in the U.S. is required as the company will not pursue visa sponsorship for this position.
There’s a difference between having a job and making a difference.
American Express has been making a difference in people’s lives for over 160 years, backing them in moments big and small, granting access, tools, and resources to take on their biggest challenges and reap the greatest rewards.
We’ve also made a difference in the lives of our people, providing a culture of learning and collaboration, and helping them with what they need to succeed and thrive. We have their backs as they grow their skills, conquer new challenges, or even take time to spend with their family or community. And when they’re ready to take on a new career path, we’re right there with them, giving them the guidance and momentum into the best future they envision.
Because we believe that the best way to back our customers is to back our people.
The powerful backing of American Express.
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time
Date Posted: Jan 8, 2020, 5:25:13 PM