Why American Express?
There’s a difference between having a job and making a difference.
American Express has been making a difference in people’s lives for over 160 years, backing them in moments big and small, granting access, tools, and resources to take on their biggest challenges and reap the greatest rewards.
We’ve also made a difference in the lives of our people, providing a culture of learning and collaboration, and helping them with what they need to succeed and thrive. We have their backs as they grow their skills, conquer new challenges, or even take time to spend with their family or community. And when they’re ready to take on a new career path, we’re right there with them, giving them the guidance and momentum into the best future they envision.
Because we believe that the best way to back our customers is to back our people.
The powerful backing of American Express.
Don’t make a difference without it.
Don’t live life without it.
Engineering Director for Mainframe Architecture and Engineering – Global Infrastructure & Digital Workplace Technology – Mainframe Systems
Global Infrastructure & Digital Workplace Technology – Mainframe Systems is responsible for enterprise technology infrastructure including mainframe, enterprise utilities, security infrastructure, database operations, and 3rd party hosting.
As the Engineering Director you will be responsible for leading the engineering of the capabilities hosted on the Mainframe platform, including operational activities associated with software and hardware management, onboarding/offboarding applications, testing, performance, automation, and developing customer centric capabilities. This critical leadership role will report directly to the Vice President of Mainframe Architecture and Engineering.
Are you ready to lead a team that is known for their customer focus? Are you excited to improve an Enterprise capability to deliver new value? Do you have a solid vision of how to enable business value through modern infrastructure capabilities? We are looking for a hardworking communicator that has excellent focus on the customer experience and big picture.
The Engineering Director responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Engaging leadership, vision and direction to the Engineering team supporting the Mainframe Strategy and Product Vision
- Collaborating with Business Unit CIOs, application developers and other business partners you will cultivate and deliver the Mainframe Platform application services strategy in the context of our Enterprise Strategy
- Partner across technology domains with an end to end view. You will influence how applications on z can enable new sources of value and modernize
- Investigating new platform capabilities to provide greater value to developers at American Express will be a key focus of your team
- Educating business partners and developers on modern mainframe application development and standard methodologies will be a key focus of yours. Your team will ensure the appropriate tooling provides user value, while assisting them to achieve our dev/ops deployment strategies
- You will develop a testing and automation capability for the infrastructure of the mainframe platform, through incorporating infrastructure as code practices
- Participate as a member of the Mainframe Architecture and Engineering Leadership Team, providing enthusiastic support to Executive Team on ad hoc projects and modernization initiatives
- You will be a leading influence in bringing new skills to the z Series team, while assisting to develop a proven talent pipeline
- We will continue to conduct reciprocal research with customers of the platform and make recommendations on software products and services in support of development efforts
- We will look for you to evaluate new applications, using our fit for purpose methodology with a focus on appropriate systems software, products, and/or improvements to existing application capabilities throughout the enterprise
- Coordinate and execute feasibility studies for software and system products under consideration for purchase, and give advice based on findings
- You will contribute to the pre-testing phase of development of application and infrastructure changes by evaluating proposals in order to identify potential problem areas, and make the appropriate recommendations
- Liaise with company’s software suppliers for prompt rectification of any problems or emergencies, and direction in their product development to support American Express
- Compile and maintain inventory of company software and systems assets and their corresponding contracts/agreements
- Develop and communicate training and documentation for end users, hold clinics as necessary, and other user-related activities
- Develop, distribute, and coordinate in-depth end-user reviews for modified and new systems or applications with a keen focus on the customer experience
To be successful in this critical role you will be a highly motivated self-starter who is able to provide strategic thought leadership, lead multi-functional teams and projects with limited mentorship. You are organized, culturally-aware and a good communicator who can effectively prioritize as needs evolve.
- Minimum 10 years Mainframe Engineering Services experience in a medium to large enterprise environment
- Bachelor's degree in Information technology, Computer Science or related discipline required
- Good technical knowledge and experience in multiple Mainframe applications, and automation methodologies
- Nimble, flexible, able to think out of the box; apply the appropriate process/methodology or solution to a given problem
- Baseline technical understanding and ability to partake in conversations with application developers to articulate takeaways to partners with limited context
- Experience in clarifying objectives, dealing with ambiguity/under-defined problems, advocating for simplification, and influencing teams
- A strategic thinker with a demonstrable record of successfully leading large scale complex multi-stakeholder initiatives
- Experience with Agile methodologies and Lean Management Systems will be key
- Strong people leadership skills with the ability to influence without authority and collaborate across all levels in the Company
- Demonstrated application management, organization and planning skills applied in a dynamic, multi-tasking environment
- Shown decision-making & problem-solving capabilities with strong follow up skills and attention to detail
- Proven sense of integrity and ability to deal with issues and subject matter in ways that requires considerable sensitivity, discretion and judgment
- Experience in HR processes and disciplines
Employment eligibility to work with American Express in the U.S. is required as the company will not pursue visa sponsorship for these positions.
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time
Date Posted: Jan 15, 2020, 3:11:14 AM