There’s a difference between having a job and making a difference.
American Express has been making a difference in people’s lives for over 160 years, backing them in moments big and small, granting access, tools, and resources to take on their biggest challenges and reap the greatest rewards.
We’ve also made a difference in the lives of our people, providing a culture of learning and collaboration, and helping them with what they need to succeed and thrive. We have their backs as they grow their skills, conquer new challenges, or even take time to spend with their family or community. And when they’re ready to take on a new career path, we’re right there with them, giving them the guidance and momentum into the best future they envision.
Because we believe that the best way to back our customers is to back our people.
The powerful backing of American Express.
Don’t make a difference without it.
Don’t live life without it.
Primary focus is to provide technical expertise, education, and tooling to ensure the highest level of reliability and availability for critical applications. Able to provide consultation and strategic recommendations by quickly assessing and remediating complex availability issues. Responsible for driving automation, efficiencies to increase quality, availability and security.
Technical individual contributor integrated with technology and business partners to ensure efficiencies in increasing quality, availability and security to technical platforms. Works individually and with teams to drive reliability goals and objectives across platforms.
Enable creation and updating of logging standards to streamline dashboard creation and ensure usability of logging repository
Drive monitoring requirements to ensure business-service level visibility for all support teams
Participate in architectural decisions to ensure software transaction flows are appropriately supported and designed
Is an IT infrastructure Subject Matter Expert (SME) and works with Development teams to build to standards that drive the highest levels of availability
Provides guidance to software engineers related to design patterns that are resistant to failure
Communicates effectively with Development and Operation teams to align on requirements, driving SDLC requirements, capabilities, and limitations pertinent to delivering highly resilient applications
Responsible for evaluating and implementing orchestration, automation, and tooling solutions to ensure consistent processes and repetitive tasks are performed with a higher level of accuracy and reduced defects
Build, implement and advise on recovery tooling to adhere to enterprise standards and/or frameworks
Introduce new and impactful technologies to the production support tool chain that help minimize friction for production releases and support, and to more quickly diagnose and recover from production incidents
Responsible for availability, proactive monitoring / alerting, capacity planning, performance (reducing latency and increasing efficiency) to include testing for technical platforms
Partner with appropriate supporting teams to ensure operational readiness throughout the application lifecycle
Ensure application data flows are accurate and up to date with the objective to increase the knowledge base of all support teams and drive reliability.
Facilitates the resolutions of non-application issues (3rd party upstream issues, infrastructure issues, storage, database, network, file transfer etc.)
Consults with teams to build standards that drive the highest levels of availability
Center of Enablement – coach and advise about the SRE function working with varies teams and provide real-life examples when necessary
- Bachelor’s Degree in related field preferred; Relevant industry experience can substitute
- 8+ years of engineering and/or architecture experience in a complex environment, such as: large scale web infrastructure or development team
- Experience supporting a 24/7 enterprise environment with on-call responsibilities for production support
- Experience in a broad range of software development and operations technologies such as Infrastructure, virtualization, load balancing, containers, JVM’s, web servers, application debugging, queueing technologies, caching technologies, databases (RDBMS and NoSQL), routing and switching, etc.
- Experience in high transaction volume OLTP sites or the Financial Services industry is preferred
- Has an ‘Automation First” mindset – fundamentally will not accept doing things over and over by hand
- Combines deep technical expertise, a continuous improvement and automation mindset, and systematic and rational root cause analysis to identify opportunities to make things faster and better
- Challenges the status quo, identifies opportunities to adopt innovative technologies to enable business capabilities, generates creative ideas and solutions to difficult problems
- A recognized expert and highly sought-after consultant that is knowledgeable regarding current research and technology in the industry and uses that knowledge to continually improve the function
- Highly influential at all levels including peers, leaders and key stakeholders, distilling complex ideas and concepts with clear, structured, easy to understand language
- Adapts to change quickly and easily and helps others adjust to changes through effective communication
- Knows when to escalate decisions and when to make on-the-spot decisions
- Knowledge of DevOps related practices such as CI/CD, Canary Pushes/ Blue-Green deployments, Software Defined Infrastructure and tools and etc.
- Ability to guide and implement the scripting or development of production support tooling that can be leveraged by your team and others.
- Understanding of multi-tier
application architectures and related development technologies in support
of service virtualization and API implementation/support
- Ability to write and build code and/or interpret and understand code
- Experience with helping drive story/non-functional/functional test planning
- Ability to create and update operating procedures on an ongoing basis
- Ability to assess logging and understanding value
- Knowledge and understanding of the SDLC principles and key controls
- Understand problem and incident management processes
- Ability to ensure appropriate database technology is recommended based on application of knowledge and the given software needs
- Working knowledge of operations to include certificate management, firewall rules, websites, XaaS, load balancer configuration, website virtualizations (VM’s and containers), etc.
- Knowledge of financial industry standards and business practices
- Large scale application support experience
- Deep understanding of *nix technologies, e.g. AIX, RedHat and CentOS
- Exposure to web frameworks
- Knowledge of configuration management, release automation, and orchestration technologies
- Experience working with enterprise applications to include queueing or shared services technologies
- Understanding monitoring technologies, focused on logging, time-series or machine-learning products from a product owners’ perspective
Employment eligibility to work with American Express in the U.S. is required as the company will not pursue visa sponsorship for these positions.
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time
Date Posted: Jan 9, 2020, 11:13:48 AM