There’s a difference between having a job and making a difference.
American Express has been making a difference in people’s lives for over 160 years, backing them in moments big and small, granting access, tools, and resources to take on their biggest challenges and reap the greatest rewards.
We’ve also made a difference in the lives of our people, providing culture of learning and collaboration, and helping them with what they need to succeed and thrive. We have their backs as they grow their skills, conquer new challenges, or even take time to spend with their family or community. And when they’re ready to take on a new career path, we’re right there with them, giving them the guidance and momentum into the best future they envision.
Because we believe that the best way to back our customers is to back our people.
The powerful backing of American Express.
Don’t make a difference without it.
Don’t live life without it.
At American Express we place an enormous emphasis on Customer Experience. We sit at the intersection of commerce and experiences. We are unique in our business model where we are one of only a few companies in the world that owns a user’s end to end commerce experience.
With our mix of assets like rewards, benefits, and members only perks, we are re-imagining how commerce and experiences converge in a more modern, digital and connected world. As we change the way merchants and their consumers interact with each other, we are looking for unbelievably talented leaders to define and execute against a very ambitious vision.
You’ll work among high performing engineering, design and product teams. The traits we are looking for this position are: deep technical knowledge, set technical goals, contribution to product strategy, stubbornness against settling, bold decision making, drive architecture decisions, and design internet-scale solutions.
This role will be responsible for leading large programs, building enterprise-scale services, cloud migration, product & engineering agile backlog management, adoption of appropriate SAFe (scaled agile) processes, Java Engineering, release management, test data management & DevOps within the Web Engineering organization.
We are looking for someone who possesses the skills of: servant leadership and mentoring, delivery of product engineering teams, cultivating continual improvement in processes service quality, strategic planning, developing relevant software applications across the entire development stack.
- 7+ years’ experience with hands on coding OO languages
- Own all technical aspects of software development architecture for the assigned applications
- Maintain quality and ensure responsiveness of applications, performance, and availability
- Strong understanding of the following technologies:
Java API and Micro Services
No Sql DBs and/or other relational database
Queue Technologies: e.g. Kafka
Container orchestration management: Kubernetes
- Maintain code integrity and organization
- Collaborate with the organization engineering team on the design and launch/material change of new and existing features
- Work with UX designers and convert designs to visual components with a foundation of accessibility for all users.
- Understand and implement security and data protection
- Leading and managing large initiatives across Web Engineering including enterprise cloud migration
- Leads and drives consistent software development, release management processes & implementation for the organization
- Develop deep understanding of end to end tie-ins with other systems and platforms within the supported domains.
- Drive cross functional development on entire technology stack for the company to provide consistent user experience.
- Identify exciting opportunities for adopting new technologies to solve existing needs and predicting future challenges
- Drive adoption and evolution of industry recognized best practices in Agile and SAFe delivery methodologies utilized across product and engineering teams
- Provides test data & test data tooling to support and accelerate test execution across teams
- Define what winning looks like: Place enterprise thinking first , lead with an external perspective
- Establish and maintain strong relationships and partner with Product Management, Architecture and Engineering ensuring regular communication of delivery progress is maintained
- Ensures adherence of portfolio (or Platform) supported relevant compliance requirements
- Actively partners with key stakeholders to identify and prioritize projects/capabilities. PI planning of feature sets
- Sets priorities and milestones to meet strategic objectives
- Provides leadership to direct-report and/or cross-functional teams
- Builds reciprocal relationships at all levels
- Establishes and clearly communicates program strategy and progress to key stakeholders
- Monitors projects/programs to ensure technology, compliance and security standards are being adhered to and project objectives are being met
- Acts as primary point of escalation for programs and resolve issues as necessary
- May design, track and analyze quality controls or governance processes
- Communicates to senior leaders with regard to program strategy direction and changes
- Responsible for leading delivery of significant change programs or other large business initiatives (may span across Technology or be in partnership with AXP business lines)
- Accountable for driving strategic vision & roadmap within scope of responsibility
- Ensures team successfully develop, deploy, support, and monitor software across various environments
- Share technology domain expertise with architects and other specialists across multiple organizations
- Promote, empower, and practice servant leadership
- Cultivate an environment of continuous engineering improvement through mentoring, feedback, and metrics
- Coach, guide, and promote creation of high quality, clearly documented, and compliant work across engineering and program teams
- Ensure alignment of strategy, architecture, tools/methods with software engineers and architects to execute product roadmaps
- Lead multiple agile software product development teams that realize the company’s technology vision and strategy in a scalable, iterative environment
- Collaborate with peers and partners to drive software solutions that align to strategic roadmaps, prioritized initiatives and strategic technology directions
- Lead with an external perspective, challenge status quo, deliver the best customer experience every day.
- Communicate Frequently, Candidly and Clearly. Make informed decisions quickly and effectively.
- Use technical acumen to enable removal of impediments, ask probing questions, and support team in technical issue resolution
- Facilitate discussions to identify alternative or different approaches to solve problems, break down barriers and drive resolution of conflicts to ensure productivity of the team
- Steer and deliver project communications at all levels within Technology and business to ensure visibility of development process and project performance, to coordinate escalation and issue resolution, to facilitate decision making, and to build trust
- Drives resolution of conflict as needed
- 10+ years professional work experience in technology and large project management experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in related field required
- Requires prior management, supervisory experience
- 10+ years’ experience leading large delivery projects
- 7+ years leading large E2E programs and responsible for delivery
- Ability to direct a team and negotiate and influence stakeholders within the team and externally in the broader organization.
- Ability to build long term relationships across the organization.
- Well versed in the concept of minimum viable product and engineering to support an MVP based rollout.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills with a demonstrated ability to influence technical and non-technical audiences including those at the Executive leadership level.
- Demonstrated ability to adapt to new technologies and learn quickly.
- 5+ years leading Agile teams and experience with SaFe preferred
- Experience with communicating and managing at the Senior and executive level
- Experience as part of and/or leading large, cross functional teams
- Experience driving large scale product delivery
- Demonstrated experience with system architecture, design & integration as well as business knowledge in multiple disciplines
Employment eligibility to work with American Express in the U.S. is required as the company will not pursue visa sponsorship for these positions.
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time
Date Posted: Jan 13, 2020, 4:16:49 PM